Newbie here from Phoenix / Tempe / Mesa AZ area. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Newbie here from Phoenix / Tempe / Mesa AZ area.

Ford1993Ben

Reaction score
City, State
Tempe az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993, XLT 4wd.
Hello to all Explorer fans. Times are tough, living and parts/ repair cost are getting out of hand. Insofar we should help each other if we can with advice or tips / recommendation.. I am a beginner,hobby mechanic and did some stuff on my Explorer as front brakes, new radiator with fan, water pump and also 4x4 front wheel adjustment. Would do more but where I live people don't allow fixing cars.My car: 1993 Explorer XLT 4 WD 4.0 l, standing for 2 years, fixing it, and got emissions today for 2 years. Yeahhhh.... Now a new problem comes up, that's life.. Q: Where is the oil pump in case I have to change that, I hope it's just the oil pressure sensor/, is that inside the oil pan? Anyone experience with that? If we can connect in the area and some need a helping hand and I can, so I will.

Be safe out there.
Ben

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello to all Explorer fans. Times are tough, living and parts/ repair cost are getting out of hand. Insofar we should help each other if we can with advice or tips / recommendation.. I am a beginner,hobby mechanic and did some stuff on my Explorer as front brakes, new radiator with fan, water pump and also 4x4 front wheel adjustment. Would do more but where I live people don't allow fixing cars.My car: 1993 Explorer XLT 4 WD 4.0 l, standing for 2 years, fixing it, and got emissions today for 2 years. Yeahhhh.... Now a new problem comes up, that's life.. Q: Where is the oil pump in case I have to change that, I hope it's just the oil pressure sensor/, is that inside the oil pan? Anyone experience with that? If we can connect in the area and some need a helping hand and I can, so I will.

Be safe out there.
Ben
the pump is pretty far in and iirc needs the upper pan removed on the soc to each it. ohv has one piece design so i imagine its no different thete

also btw welcome!

93 will be the ohv, the oil pump is at the rear of the engine inside the pan. It is a common problem for the oil pressure switch to fail. Welcome to the forum.

Welcome.

Welcome to the forum!

Be safe out the
Welcome to the forum!

Thank you.

Thank you for your answer. That's sounds like a lot of work.😞
You know not sure it's the pump.or sensor. Symptoms are: "check oil" light comes on. Filled it up a bit. After 20 miles it's on again and stays on. Instrument shows normal and is stable. Oil is to upper level , can't fill more or overfill.
My idea.
Change oil and filter first.
2. If light is still on or on off. change oil pressure switch (may be faulty.)
3. When no change at all, check oil pressure with pressure gauge.
Any hint if it's the pressure sensor or is it the oil pump?

You know not sure it's the pump.or sensor. Symptoms are: "check oil" light comes on. Filled it up a bit. After 20 miles it's on again. Any hint if it's the pressure sensor or is it the oil pump?
20 miles with no oil pressure would have destroyed the motor. The lifters would be collapsed, you would hear it too. If conventional oil has been used in the motor since new, even the best stuff can sludge up over time. I'm thinking the oil passage to the oil pressure switch has some buildup, it is a dead-end inside the block. My experiences with a failed oil pressure switch has always been when it failed, it quit altogether.

20 miles with no oil pressure would have destroyed the motor. The lifters would be collapsed, you would hear it too. If conventional oil has been used in the motor since new, even the best stuff can sludge up over time. I'm thinking the oil passage to the oil pressure switch has some buildup, it is a dead-end inside the block. My experiences with a failed oil pressure switch has always been when it failed, it quit altogether.
Thank you Josh.
So we can rule out the oil pump itself,which would be a relief. That's leaves either a faulty oil switch wiring or the oil switch itself. Can , if that's the case, the buildup be cleaned or would that go away with oil change?
Appreciate your input.

Thank you Josh.
So we can rule out the oil pump itself,which would be a relief. That's leaves either a faulty oil switch wiring or the oil switch itself. Can , if that's the case, the buildup be cleaned or would that go away with oil change?
Appreciate your input.
Harbor freight sells a cheap mechanical oil pressure tester kit. It's worth every penny. If there is buildup in the engine, you would need to run a cleaner with the oil.

Harbor freight sells a cheap mechanical oil pressure tester kit. It's worth every penny. If there is buildup in the engine, you would need to run a cleaner with the oil.
Thank you Josh. That helps a lot. I will keep you informed. Since I drive mainly a different car, it will take a while; I am happy I got the Explorer trough emissions.

Thank you Josh. That helps a lot. I will keep you informed. Since I drive mainly a different car, it will take a while; I am happy I got the Explorer trough emissions.
I'd recommend getting the oil pressure tester. The gauge on the dash is a switch, it reads normal if there is around 6-7psi.

I'd recommend getting the oil pressure tester. The gauge on the dash is a switch, it reads normal if there is around 6-7psi.
Hey Josh. Reached down wiggled on the oil pressure sensor switch cable, back force, up down and, cross fingers , oil light went off. Hope that's it. Thank you for your your information.

Sometimes the sensor leaks oil, and it goes into the connector. The connection is intermittent since it's making poor contact. Unplug the wire, check to see if it's dry, then plug it back in.

Sometimes the sensor leaks oil, and it goes into the connector. The connection is intermittent since it's making poor contact. Unplug the wire, check to see if it's dry, then plug it back in.
Thank you for your tip. I solved it for now. It seams that the connector was the problem. The light went off after I wiggled the cable. Let's hope that's all.
Again thank you and if light comes back I will gladly take your hint.
Best regards
Ben

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Be safe out there.
Ben
Hey Guys. This is getting out of hand. Sitting here in Mesa AZ. Asked for cost per hour at Big O Tire for any repair. ( oil change special $25 with tax)
Anyhow repair cost is $ 165 per hour!!!!!!!
Soon we are back to 1900 when only the rich could afford a car. Or we will not drive in cars per person anymore but sit in flying busses😳
Future looks 😡.. think positive 😊. What is repair per hour in your area?
Have a great week and be save.
Ben
To Admin: Yes I know only repair and technical questions..but I was shocked. Soon $ 200 per hour ?

Back