Newbie here with some front axle/diff. problems. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Newbie here with some front axle/diff. problems.

My99merc

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeland, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mounatineer AWD
Hey guys I'm new here but not to the world of cars and trucks. I've got a 99 Moutaineer that seems to have a new front axle/differential noise just about every day. I've got 117K on the odometer and the noise is really getting annoying. The noise is at it's worst when the front axle/diff is under load, especially uphill. As soon as you step off the throttle the noise improves. I also have a terrible grinding noise in the left front wheel area with no real vibration, just that God awful grinding. If you can believe this, the grinding sound is also intermittent. I have already changed out the brakes and rotors and it didn't help in the least. I gave some thought that it may be the bearing/ABS pickup assembly but don't want to spend that much $$$ if you guys think this is another problem. Are these diffs available rebuilt or are they pretty simple to remove and repair (bearings???) Thanks everyone, Joe:(

Back