Newbie in a Jam (Help Please)!!! My engine is ticking. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Newbie in a Jam (Help Please)!!! My engine is ticking.

bfdi_man

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XLT
Good morning,

My name is Jay. I am from Michigan. I recently purchased a 1999 Ford Explorer XLT with SOHC 4.0 engine. It has 130,000 miles on it. I've had this truck for at least 8 months. It rode good until last night, I began to hear the "tick" "tick" syndrome. According to research, it appears that this may be the timing chain. A mechanic also told me this when I drove it to him.

Now here's the thing. I don't want to get trapped into spending, spending & spending on this truck. Should I try and just fix the timing chain without reconditioning other parts of the engine?? Or should I have the engine reconditioned since it will be broken down. Whats the average amount a shop may charge for a remanufactured engine? Whats the average cost for a remanufactured or reconditioned engine? Would it be cheaper to buy a used engine and have it checked to see if it needs reconditioning, and if so, whats the normal cost to test the used engine for conditioning if I should go this route???

Thanks guys, I would appreciate any helpful tips because it's hard to trust some people when they have your engine, claiming they did A, B & C.

Yours truly,
Economically disadvantaged:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed, and moved your thread to the stock 95-01 section. Don't jump into rebuilding the engine so fast. Have you checked the oil pressure or the oil level? What grade of oil do you use? Have a mechanic check the engine before you decide to rebuild it.

Switch oil to Rotella T 15-40. It can be found at Walmart cheapest

Back