Newbie in a pinch

chrisj796

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 explorer limited
hello
I recently purchased a 2016 explorer limited, not thinking I was screwing with the electronics and set the Mykey lock and now I can only turn my radio halfway up!!!!
I have looked on the net for a fix but the vehicle was a rental an only came with one key, which I set as the mykey. Is there any other way to reset without purchasing another key fob?

I find it extremely odd that there's only 1 key. I don't believe they even let cars out of the shop without at least 2 programmed keys. You may need to take it to your local Ford dealer to get this resolved, because from what I know to undo a MyKey (the regular way) you need the non-restricted key in the car when you press the "Clear MyKeys" option.

If you have Forscan and an ODB-II reader you can possibly follow these instructions: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/10685842-post54.html

I would anyway take it to Ford so that you can get another key cut for the car, exactly for instances like this.

hello
I recently purchased a 2016 explorer limited, not thinking I was screwing with the electronics and set the Mykey lock and now I can only turn my radio halfway up!!!!
I have looked on the net for a fix but the vehicle was a rental an only came with one key, which I set as the mykey. Is there any other way to reset without purchasing another key fob?
Welcome to the Forum Chris.:wave:
As Rainloard mentioned, you should probably have a 2nd key anyway. A few members have ordered one from online sites but in your case you may have to visit a dealer to get it programmed since you don't have an 'Admin' key.
Radio volume 1/2 way up would be way too load for me.:D
I think that you may have found a 'flaw' with the current Mykey setup. I think that like clearing a Mykey requires you to have an Admin key present, the requirement to create one should have the same requirement.

Peter

Back