Newbie, just bought a '96 XLT V8!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Newbie, just bought a '96 XLT V8!!

jseabolt

Reaction score
City, State
Kingsport, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limted V8
Hello. My name is James and this is my first posting. I'm from East Tennessee.

I just picked up a 1996 XLT V8 AWD with 82,000 miles on it. I bought it yesterday.

Other than some trim items like the wiper arms, cowl panel, roof rack that need repainting and a slightly worn driver's seat it's in immaculate condition. Loaded to the gills with options.

96Explorer.jpg

I don't know if I got burned but I got it for $5000 which was close to what NADA says it's worth. Some lady had traded it on it on a new $53,000 Tahoe.

I was looking for a used tow vehicle and this one seems to be what I was looking for. My 1968 Ford Fairlane has basically the same 302 engine, so the 5.0 liter engine was what appealed to. Since it's basically been in production since the early 60s (289).

I was considering a Trailblazer or Astro van but I think I made a better decision. The Chevy guys at work tried to interest me in a Trailblazer, Tahoe or Surburban. But I wanted something small but with a big engine.

The AWD was also a plus. My AWD Subaru Baja will go anywhere where my previous Jeep Wrangler would go great in a foot of dry snow but would just spin out in slush.

The main reason I bought this vehicle was to tow my vintage cars to car shows. And my wife will use it to haul stuff when she needs it or when they are calling for snow.

Power was more a concern over fuel economy. I needed something to haul a 2500 lb car on a dual tandem car hauler. The owner's manual says it can haul 6700 lbs.

My Explorer has the towing package and it's got a transmission cooler but there is no trailer hitch on it! I found a class III and IV hitch on Ebay which I think should do the job. Why didn't Ford put a trailer hitch on a $34000 vehicle with a towing package?!?!

Because it's got the towing package is it already wired for a trailer? Or do I need to tap into the existing rear wiring? If not where's the connector?

While I am at it, has anyone ever mounted a supercharger system from a Mustang GT on a 5.0 liter Explorer? Any major hurdles involved? I consider myself an average mechanic so I think I can pull it off. I've built three custom turbo systems for my other cars but never fooled with supercharging.

Thanks!

http://users.chartertn.net/jseabolt/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum nice EX....I'm sure that supercharger mod your talking about has been done by someone around here, but maybe you'll be the first :D

http://www.explorerexpress.com they have a supercharger system on their

website

if yours is just going to be used as a towing vehicle I suggest an electric fan and to take a look at the rear suspension...I see to many explorers riding low in the rear when towing boats and trailers

If the supercharger is too much...then some torque monster headers and a mac intake may do some good too!!!

Just search around the forum...

warning it gets addicting though

welcome!
and nice truck!
looks like its in good shape.

i hear those headers are great :)

if it doesnt have a hitch, or a wiring conector, id quesiton if it really has a tow package.

anyway, looks like a sweet truck, have fun with it! :D:D

welcome!
and nice truck!
looks like its in good shape.

i hear those headers are great :)

if it doesnt have a hitch, or a wiring conector, id quesiton if it really has a tow package.

anyway, looks like a sweet truck, have fun with it! :D:D

The original window sticker says it does. I noticed the rear wheels have disc brakes and it has a rear stabalizer bar which is unusual for a truck.

be carefull...the 5.0 is quite an addicting motor! ....basically a Mustang GT HO motor ...As soon as I can afford it I will be doing the MAC Cold air Intake and the Torquemonster headers! ...
Steve n Oklahoma

Back