Newbie with AC removal questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Newbie with AC removal questions

natenkiki2004

Blue Bomb!
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 & 1994 Explorers
Hey all. I've seen a few threads on here discuss removing the AC system and even go as far to get another heater box that's smaller in size. Ideally I'd like to go down that road but one step at a time. I recently got a 1991 Explorer that has the AC compressor/clutch removed (the component that sits atop the power steering pump) but seemingly everything else is still in place. There's a few tubes/lines and some electrical connections that look like they are part of that system.

What is safe to remove? I'm not at all familiar with the components in an AC system so pictures would help!
With the system as it is, is it possible there's refrigerant left or would it have been drained? If it's not drained, how do I do this safely?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone? Perhaps this shouldn't be in the 1991-1994 section?

Discharged as in the pressure is let out but wouldn't there be Freon left in the accumulator? I'm just wondering if I should have a shop vac out the system. I don't mind removing the components as I can add them to my scrap metal pile.

There will be some left over oil, but it's not pressurized.

Alright, thanks. I started cutting hoses and realized that it doesn't look like I can remove the condenser until after I remove the radiator. Maybe I'll finish the job after a flush and hose replacement.

Back