Next Ford Explorer to be a CUV | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Next Ford Explorer to be a CUV

Its been coming a long time, and im not surprised either. We the public want a car that looks like an SUV. We buy cars that look like SUV's. If you produce a real SUV, it doesnt sell as well as the other car based competition.

We in general dont go offroad. Only the weird neighbor down the street with the old smelly jeep/bronco/blazer/4runner does that kind of thing. That guy has dirty fingernails and a riding lawnmower with flames on it so we dont let our kids go play over there. We dont even go outside. Why the hell would we want a SUV capable of doing anything other than hauling our kids to school and maybe haul a load of playstations to sell on ebay? 400 tv channels, tivo, internet, and gaming consoles have taken over camping, fishing, and going outdoors. Why in the hell would i ever buy a rough riding SUV that handles like a truck just so i can take my kids on a camping trip? Hell, i can stay right here and let the cathode ray tube entertain them.

Fact is mom wants a smooth ride and car-like handling while she's flying down interstate @ 85 mph, talking on the cell phone while applying that last layer of lip gloss, with 2.3 kids that dont mind screaming in the background on the way to her botox apointment.

It would be fine in my book if Ford did this with the explorer, but only if they brought back the bronco in a badass way.
Right now Ford could build a REAL Bronco, say with the concept body, solid front coils/radius arms and 8.8 rear, V6... keep it simple like a Wrangler. It would DOMINATE that small segment of the market. Make a Rubicon fighter with lockers and a 4:1 transfer case. It would steal most of Jeep's Wrangler sales. But alas, Ford had to build the prototype on a fawking front wheel drive car platform, and we were all outraged so they wont build it at all now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

James, I totally agree. Unfortunately I think Ford's bean counters see it as too much of a "what if" risk and aren't willing to go out on a limb.

However, if the Saudis keep the price of gas down for an (optimistic) year or so, Ford could definitely have a bump in sales in a market they thought was doomed. Shame, I do believe Ford has the potential, I just think they are too "by the book" to take the risk and think outside the box.

I right there with you James :thumbsup: We live on the fringe of society and social acceptance.

I believe my next vehicle will be a F250 4x4 with a solid front axle- if they still make em that way when I get ready. I wouldn't be surprised if they are IFS in the next few years. I wouldn't be surprised if the F150 goes independent all the way around.

What are people that actually use their vehicles going to do?

Even the full size expo is IRS. :thumbdwn:

IRS sucks when loaded heavily, the wheels get all out of whack, leaning in. Useless junk.

So it will be heavy duty trucks or CUV's and cars -nothing in the middle for average joe.

Your right about the average joe being cut out. Sounds like our government doesn't it. You will have to get an F-350. The F-250 does not have a solid front axle. F-350 and larger does.

Don't know who came up with it, but I'm pretty sure we all know who are asking for it...:rolleyes:

Actually, I think it would be a fine street truck or daily driver. Ford beleives that they can save money by building the Exporer, Freestyle, Fairlane and perhaps the Edge on the same platform.

I would consider buying the new one for a DD, but I'd keep my 92 Ex and set it up as a trail rig!

When can we see a picture of the "new" Explorer, or is it still a pipe dream?

Bob

p.s. I have to laugh. I live in a nice suburban neighborhood with older homes on small 50 x 110 foot lots. A guy down the street where the houses are bigger and newer told my neighbors that we are the "white trash" end of the street. I said, "Yeah, like that guy (me) who is always working on his truck!"

Bob

It's very sad to see the Explorer being cut down to a car-like vehicle. It really sucks. As I've said before, my Sport will be the last Explorer or possibly even Ford, unless i need a full-size truck that is.

It's very sad to see the Explorer being cut down to a car-like vehicle. It really sucks. As I've said before, my Sport will be the last Explorer or possibly even Ford, unless i need a full-size truck that is.

I makes me sad, too. :( Its future shock: things that I know and love, like the Explorer, manual transmissions, and morse code (see trail communications forum), are going away.

Its not just Ford. The whole industry is going that way, just some makers are further along the path than others. It started when they called the Subaru Outback an SUV. Now the Honda TV commercial refers to the Pilot, CR-V and Element as "trucks".:thumbdwn: Tts what the public wants, or what the pundits tell them they want. We are the Neanderthals:eek:

Bob

Well, Looks like it's going to happen....

Well, i think Explorer is heading the way of the freestyle, Er, Taurus X, to becoming a CUV

"DETROIT — In the relentless quest to satisfy consumers' conflicting demands for space, utility, comfort, performance and efficiency, two Detroit brands are planning to switch their midsize sport-utility vehicles from their current truck-based, body-on-frame construction to new car-based crossover platforms after 2010.

Inside Line has learned that the Ford Explorer and the Dodge Durango will likely shift to unitized designs in 2010-'11. Suppliers familiar with the manufacturers' plans say the redesigned Explorer and Durango will be roughly the same dimensions as the current models, with three rows of seats and accommodations for up to seven passengers. But as they shed the current body-on-frame layouts, they should be considerably lighter and more fuel-efficient, with better performance and handling.

The next-generation Explorer is expected to share its underpinnings with the new Ford Fairlane crossover that arrives this fall. Ford will differentiate the two vehicles by positioning the Fairlane as a family-oriented people mover and the new Explorer as a more rugged-looking hauler with SUV-like styling cues. Like the Fairlane, the new Explorer is expected to be offered in both front- and all-wheel-drive variants.

A third vehicle on the same chassis, the Ford Freestyle wagon (renamed Taurus X for model-year 2008), may be phased out of production before the new Explorer is introduced, perhaps as early as 2009.

Ford has no plans for a Mercury companion to the new Explorer, suppliers say. The current Mountaineer will likely be dropped from production, with no replacement, in 2008 or 2009.

It is not known if Ford still plans to offer an optional V8 in the new Explorer. A DOHC 3.5-liter V6 and six-speed automatic are expected to be fitted as standard.

At the Chrysler Group, Dodge is planning to shift its new Durango to an updated version of the Jeep Grand Cherokee platform. A companion model for the Chrysler brand will replace the current Aspen. With the impending demise of the Jeep Commander, the next-generation Durango and Aspen could be assembled on the same line as the Grand Cherokee at Chrysler's Jefferson Avenue plant in Detroit.

Chrysler has a range of V6 and V8 engines, including the vaunted Hemi, that will fit the next-generation Durango and Aspen, as well as a Mercedes-sourced 3.0-liter TDI.

The base models will be rear-wheel drive, with all-wheel-drive variants available.

General Motors already has begun its shift away from truck-based SUVs in the midsize segment, with plans to phase out the Chevrolet TrailBlazer and GMC Envoy before the end of the decade, according to suppliers.

There appear to be no direct replacements for TrailBlazer and Envoy. Instead, Chevy will field several midsize crossover vehicles, including a redesigned Equinox, while GMC will anchor the segment with its new full-size Acadia crossover vehicle.

What this means to you: Detroit is moving as rapidly as it can from truck-based SUVs to car-based CUVs — but apparently not as quickly as consumers would like."

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=119596

Well, I would consider buying the next Explorer as a daily driver and keeping my old Explorer (92 XLT) for heavy duty use. Don't need 3 rows of seats, but I'd like something with a little more cargo capacity than the Escape.

The 3.5L engine and the 6-speed tranny should offer decent economy and performance. It won't have the family boat looks of the Freestyle.

But, obviously there will be no 2-speed transfer case. And, 2010 is a long time to wait. My Ex will be 18 years old by then.

Bob

I think Rick is going to have to change the name of the forum...I really hate to see American auto makers struggle. Do you think they know it or are they oblivious to the fact that we WANT Leif springs, solid axles, and 4 LO? I'm not the only one either. I have three kids. My wife and I just bought a '02 Durango because it was priced better than an Expedition, had 3rd over the Explorers/Mounties/Trailblazers in our price range AND she loves the truck like ride. But in my heart of hearts, Nothing will ever take the place of my rattly 186k mile beat up 93 'Spoder.

Yeah, that's why I've keps my 92 for so long. Nothing on the market excites or interests me as much as when I saw the first Explorers.

Most of manufacturers have decided that people who want truck-based SUV's are an infinitesimally small percentage of the market. But, how will they distinguish the next Explorer from a Honda Pilot?

Bob

Just an observation-

Doesnt it seem odd, that in the late 80's through the 90's when offroading wasnt that popular to the general public... yet truck based offroad capable SUV's were the norm. Now, offroading is very mainstream and SUV's have turned into tall cars. Seems weird to me. :confused:

And so began the age of Puss-isim, where Ice Skating is the dominant sport over football and the Mazda CX-7 is considered badass and rugged. An age where the T-Bone Steak has been dropped for the lighter, more maneuverable File Mignon, and the trail to the local camping spot has actually grown over.

Ill tell you one thing, my kids are going to be the ones with grease in their blood, a football in hand, and the keys to a 1994 Bronco in their pocket. And they're gunna be able to kick anyone's ass, right after they finish their T-Bone seasoned to perfection and right before they rhomp through that overgrown trail in their 4-wheel drive.

Oh ****, my kids are hicks! Ok, they can have Chinese food every once in a while, that should balance things out.

Agreed. The day my Father died was the day that I swore to be the most I could for my kids. They WILL be Americans and live like we all should. Now where the hell is my steak knife?

Yeah, remember that slogan (it also was a book), "Real men don't eat quiche!"

My personal cure for the common cold: beer and chili.

And, I'm keepin' my 92 Ex, with the manual tranny!

Bob

The next Explorer should be a diesel, electric, hybrid, with 4 wheel motors and four wheel steering. It should be the first offroad capable hybrid able to do all sorts of cool stuff by managing the wheel motors with a computer system.

50miles to the gal and true on and offroad capabilty would be sweet:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am a member of Ford's media site. They don't have one current article about the Explorer. In fact if you do a search there, 2005 is the last year they had an article about the Explorer.

You have to wonder what these guys are thinking. Are they purposefully ruining the #1 selling SUV in the world?:dunno:

Back