Next Ford Explorer to be a CUV | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Next Ford Explorer to be a CUV

Has ford even hinted at making another true suv like the bronco or 1st generation explorer

Don't know. Ford never tells us what they're thinking... until its too late!:D

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After talking to the plant manager at the louisville assembly plant in kentucky where the explorer is made, the explorer is getting one more year as of right now, an 08, but for 09 it is unclear whether or not it will still be produced. also for 08 the door handle/grap handle will be redesigned

My guess is that the new "Explorer" will be basically the XC 90 with a few different body panels. If they go that way I will never buy a new Explorer.

I've already sworn off buying any new Explorers. My '92 was a good truck, my '01 was an absolute POS, and when we went looking to replace the '01, we drove one of the new (at the time) '05 Explorers and it didn't drive much better than my '01. I then drove an '05 F-150 SCrew, and it came home with us. Far better ride, quieter inside, better built, roughly equal fuel mileage, better interior, more power...the list goes on. It blows the Explorers out of the water in almost all categories.

Having said that, I did go out and buy another Gen 1 Explorer..:cool:

My guess is that the new "Explorer" will be basically the XC 90 with a few different body panels. If they go that way I will never buy a new Explorer.

You are probably right. I think that they will also use the 3.5L V6 and the 6-speed automatic trans. Probably it will be FWD with automatic 4WD activation like on the Escape and Freestyle. That probably means no 2-speed transfer case.

Ford is killing one of their most successful products and discouraging a lot of loyal customers. A sign of the times, I guess, with consumers wanting cars again and the higher gas prices. Still, one would think that Ford would at least try to compete with Jeep, Toyota and Nissan in the 4X4 market.

Having said that, I would still consider buying an Explorer. What's the alternative, Honda Pilot?

Bob

Taurus X is a restyled Freestyle, with the addition of the more powerful 3.5L engine to replace the 3.0, plus the 6-speed auto trans to replace the CVT. Its a major improvement over the Freestyle, but hardly a substitute for the Explorer. The Freestyle is too low, with only 5 inces of ground clearance and it used odd-sized tires manufactured only by Continental and Pirelli. They are street tires, not even suitable in snow. Maybe Ford fixed these shortcomings in the Taurus X. It looks like a nice design. I hope Ford sells many.

But, with all the Ford CUV's: Taurus X, Escape, and the new Flex, why would they want to turn the Explorer into a CUV as well? It will be little more than a lifted Taurus X.

Bob

Taurus X is a restyled Freestyle, with the addition of the more powerful 3.5L engine to replace the 3.0, plus the 6-speed auto trans to replace the CVT. Its a major improvement over the Freestyle, but hardly a substitute for the Explorer. The Freestyle is too low, with only 5 inces of ground clearance and it used odd-sized tires manufactured only by Continental and Pirelli. They are street tires, not even suitable in snow. Maybe Ford fixed these shortcomings in the Taurus X. It looks like a nice design. I hope Ford sells many.

But, with all the Ford CUV's: Taurus X, Escape, Edge, and the new Flex, why would they want to turn the Explorer into a CUV as well? It will be little more than a lifted Taurus X. Seems to me they shuld try to compete with Nissan Xterra and Toyota FJ cruiser and the "trail rated' Jeeps.

Bob

Check out the Ford Flex--its on the Ford Website--I do believe that will be the Explorer replacement.
Bill W

the flex is their next minivan. they did the same thing chevy did with their minivans, raise the nose and make it boxy....so it looks like an SUV

that is crap, like others said they got the escape and crossover or w/e the hell it is, All we're ever going to have as a tough muscle suv is i think our 1st and 2nd generation explorers. I dont know what the hell happend to ford making a 4X4 made to be used like a 4X4 is ment to be used but I don't see how they're going to gain any consumers in sales if thats how they're going to be makin'em :eek:

the flex is their next minivan. they did the same thing chevy did with their minivans, raise the nose and make it boxy....so it looks like an SUV

I agree. The fact that the Taurus X has an EB edition makes me think that it may very well be the next Explorer. The body also looks like what a next generation explorer could be in a normal progression. Also, the name. Taurus "X". Coincidence...I think not.

But I think there is hope. The Probe was supposed to be the next Mustang, but Mustang loyalists threw a fit at how it looked and the fact that it was FWD. If we make it known that we'd defect to another brand that actually makes the kind of SUV we want, Ford may very well change course. They can't afford to lose more customers.

You know, I'm starting to believe that this whole Explorer CUV may not be real. Maybe its some kind of trial concept. I could see them replacing the 4.0L engine with the 3.5 and the 6-speed, but how would they fit the optional 4.6L in the same platform as the Taurus-X (formerly Freestyle), which is designed for a transverse engine mounting? And how would they get a 2-speed transfer case into that FWD/AWD configuration with a transaxle? How would the new Explorer be any different from a lifted Taurus-X?

It makes no sense. They will have a load of different CUV's but no real 4X4 other than the pickups and the Expedition. They are not going to sell too many Explorer owners up to an Expedition, other than those who need to tow big trailers. A few Explorer owners have gone to the Freestyle, but only those who really wanted a family station wagon instead of an SUV in the first place.

Like I said, it makes so little sense that it can't be real.

Bob

In reality Americans are coming to their senses I guess....

It makes sense to use a car on the road (or a "crossover" ... basically the ride quality of a car with more room)

Trucks will of course come with solid axles to cater to the towing crowd, but not to cater to the offroad crowd. We'll be stuck with used vehicles from the mid-late 90s and older... and of course the Jeep brand.

The problem is I think Ford has beaten Americans to that idea. We still want big "cool" SUVs that we cant afford when gas prices keep climbing, that clog up the roads, cause more severe accidents, etc... it will be a while till we realize the sensibility of day to day vehicles.

Who wants "sensibility of day-to-day vehicles".....why do you think most of us here "go 4-wheeling" most weekends? Just keep up your 1st gen and early 2nd gen Explorers men!!...:):).......longevity and high mileage to all!.:)....

I know I'm about to stray into another thread here, but it merges quite well with this one.

I listen to a Formula 1 podcast (FormulaPod -- the guys are a riot BTW) but they started talking about fuel economy. One of the guys mentioned doing a x-country trip back in the late 80's with a base Honda Civic and averaged over 45 MPG. I remember diesel Rabbits getting into the 50's in the 80's and I had a roommate with a Honda CRX that routinely got in the high 40's.

The point is that we have actually regressed in the last 20 years when it comes to fuel economy. Yes, the vehicles are heavier and larger, but the cD's are less and technology has certainly improved. You could go on forever about conspiracy theories as to why this has happened, but the point is this.

The fuel economy excuse sfor killing the SUV's are absolute crap. Minivans and CUVs get only margainly better gas mileage in all but their lightest and least powered trim levels. And, back to the above... the technology to make a 30 MPG 4WD REAL SUV exists now. And that's using a gasoline powered engine. Switch to diesel, and you're knocking on the door of 40 MPG. And IMHO, the PowerStroke is one of the best diesel engines made.

I don't know what Ford's excuse for killing a real mid-size SUV is, but it certainly won't be the reasons they are telling us it is. Like I said before, we just need to remind them the demand is there.

I agree. The technology is there- but I believe that EPA and emissions regulations prohibit much of what is possible. By limiting what gases can be emitted from a running engine, engineers now have to detune motors to make less power, use more fuel because they are reverse engineering the whole drive train for emissions constraints. Look at the diesel market- until 2007, there were no standards on diesel trucks for emissions. The Ford powerstroke and Chevy Druramax engines made great power and decent econonmy for 8,000 lb. trucks.

In the gasoline world, with advanced engine valvetrains and EFI, there is no reason V8's shouldn't be getting 25+ MPG.

I'm curious if a slightly more poluting engine that gets 45 MPG would actually produce more pollutants/mile than a cleaner engine that only gets 30 MPG.

Yes, the emissions per gallon would be worse, but would they be 50% worse because that is what would have to happen just to break even on the tighter regulations.

Next Ex...to b a CUV

I know I'm about to stray into another thread here, but it merges quite well with this one.

I listen to a Formula 1 podcast (FormulaPod -- the guys are a riot BTW) but they started talking about fuel economy. One of the guys mentioned doing a x-country trip back in the late 80's with a base Honda Civic and averaged over 45 MPG. I remember diesel Rabbits getting into the 50's in the 80's and I had a roommate with a Honda CRX that routinely got in the high 40's.

The point is that we have actually regressed in the last 20 years when it comes to fuel economy. Yes, the vehicles are heavier and larger, but the cD's are less and technology has certainly improved. You could go on forever about conspiracy theories as to why this has happened, but the point is this.

The fuel economy excuse sfor killing the SUV's are absolute crap. Minivans and CUVs get only margainly better gas mileage in all but their lightest and least powered trim levels. And, back to the above... the technology to make a 30 MPG 4WD REAL SUV exists now. And that's using a gasoline powered engine. Switch to diesel, and you're knocking on the door of 40 MPG. And IMHO, the PowerStroke is one of the best diesel engines made.

I don't know what Ford's excuse for killing a real mid-size SUV is, but it certainly won't be the reasons they are telling us it is. Like I said before, we just need to remind them the demand is there.

I know there is no reason to not get decent fuel mileage for your SUV, over here{England} people drive the Suzuki Vitara {sort of like a Bronco II} and get decent mileage,and the UK has made a 'sister' to the Explorer they call Ford Maverick,(it's a SUV, btw) looks closely to a Explorer that sells with a 2.7L diesel, automatic, that gets around 40+ mpg, so there is a 'way around' the weight to fuel consumption issue that has been found here at least, so why can't US Ford do the same????? :confused:

It just doesn't make sense, especially with fuel prices rising & Ford about to lose part of their selling market.....
So tell us FOMoCo, what's the FU***** deal anyway??:rolleyes:

Next Explorer?

I did an internet search and found only vague articles about the next Explorer. No pictures, design info, not even an artist's conception of what it would look like. Does anyone have any solid info? Even if its going to be a CUV, I would consider buying one because of how well my 92 Explorer has served me. If the new one has even a little of the old Explorer DNA, it will be a fine vehicle. If Ford could boost the fuel economy up to 25 mpg it would be a good highway daily driver. Then I could convert my old Ex into a trail rig!

My best guess is that it will have the 3.5L V6, 6-speed auto trans, FWD/AWD, but not the Volvo Haldex system (too expensive, Ford is gettting away from it), styling maybe like a lifter Taurus X or a stretched Escape, unless Ford gets really bold and makes it look like a 1st generation Ex! I'm just guessing...

Seriously, is there any solid G2 out there?

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Next X to be a CUV

I did an internet search and found only vague articles about the next Explorer. No pictures, design info, not even an artist's conception of what it would look like. Does anyone have any solid info? Even if its going to be a CUV, I would consider buying one because of how well my 92 Explorer has served me. If the new one has even a little of the old Explorer DNA, it will be a fine vehicle. If Ford could boost the fuel economy up to 25 mpg it would be a good highway daily driver. Then I could convert my old Ex into a trail rig!

My best guess is that it will have the 3.5L V6, 6-speed auto trans, FWD/AWD, but not the Volvo Haldex system (too expensive, Ford is gettting away from it), styling maybe like a lifter Taurus X or a stretched Escape, unless Ford gets really bold and makes it look like a 1st generation Ex! I'm just guessing...

Seriously, is there any solid G2 out there?

Bob

Have you checked Ford's website yet, I would say from what I've just read there, the Expedition will take the Explorer's place till this FLEX, they are calling a new "cross-over" will take over, as the Flex will be on sale as early as Summer 2008, it seems the Explorer name will no longer be used *sniff, boo-hoo*. Ford is calling this Flex a 2009 model, btw.

Back