Next major revision of MFT is April of 2012? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Next major revision of MFT is April of 2012?

drober30

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Blanc, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited 302A
According to the service writer at my selling dealer, Ford rep told them next major software update is April 2012. He said the Ford rep stated any software releases before that would just be Band-aid" updates.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's true.

Thats way too long........was supposed to be January 12

What is the software release that is out right now. My dealer said that he updated all components. How do I check what version?

Ain't this some Bullshiesse!!

Way to long to wait for fixes.

What is the software release that is out right now. My dealer said that he updated all components. How do I check what version?

You check by signing up on syncmyride.com

SYNC Gen 2 v2.11 is the latest but its simply a patch/bug fix version to stem the flow of anger and frustration from current SYNC/MFT owners

A complete new version is what's coming in 2012.

Wow.... I can't believe that it is going to take over a year for Ford to release a "true" update to this complete failure of a software system! I've had nothing but issues with this system, and just had 2.11 installed.

So, let me tell you what 2.11 fixed.... The first thing I tried when I got back into the car caused the system to crash!

I've had my vehicle since January, and I guess Ford thinks waiting 15 months is reasonable to have a functioning radio/entertainment system. But since they have been completely inept in fixing minor issues in the last 9 months, I don't think we should expect them to have anything that actually fixes any of the issues in the future...

Ford, STOP screwing around and spend some money to fix this disgrace!!! Next year is not soon enough!

I'm sure they are spending the money!

Look I did a dyno to day and I messed with the Ex hard today and it kept its composure, it did however fail and go into AWD off and only front wheel drive...which gave its good scream to the 6500rpm limit. It didn't however fail at anything else, give it time. I know, I know I'm frustrated too but come on be realistic, it'll get fixed correctly with due time. I can say I am one of those owners who have small glitches but not enough to cause me to ***** about something so futile.

They've only pushed the date back by 2-3 months.

I'm actually not too surprised as their team has had a tremendous amount of work dealing with bug fixes and complaints, and the last rumour I heard was that they were moving off Flash.

A major re-write like that involves a LOT more work in quality insurance as any of their automated testing and test scrips would need to be re-written for the new environment. If this is a new UI (I hope!) then usability would need to be tested and reviewed.

I'm probably a little more patient as I come from the software industry, and while the wait may be a little longer, it might be well worth it.

They've only pushed the date back by 2-3 months.

I'm actually not too surprised as their team has had a tremendous amount of work dealing with bug fixes and complaints, and the last rumour I heard was that they were moving off Flash.

A major re-write like that involves a LOT more work in quality insurance as any of their automated testing and test scrips would need to be re-written for the new environment. If this is a new UI (I hope!) then usability would need to be tested and reviewed.

I'm probably a little more patient as I come from the software industry, and while the wait may be a little longer, it might be well worth it.

We are all assuming that this revision will be compatible with 11 and 12 MY MFT's aren't we? What if this new version is for the 13 and newer MY vehicles? I seriously doubt they would do that but it's possible. Also, what is the cost going to be? I'm sure it's not free.

Did you post your dyno chart?
What were the numbers?

Thx.

I'm sure they are spending the money!

Look I did a dyno to day and I messed with the Ex hard today and it kept its composure, it did however fail and go into AWD off and only front wheel drive...which gave its good scream to the 6500rpm limit. It didn't however fail at anything else, give it time. I know, I know I'm frustrated too but come on be realistic, it'll get fixed correctly with due time. I can say I am one of those owners who have small glitches but not enough to cause me to ***** about something so futile.

It should be compatible because my13 vehicles will not be out yet.

As for cost I believe someone mentioned owners are entitled to one free upgrade. Within the first 12 months someone mentioned?

I bought my x in may... Have 2.8... Mines a little glitchy and mainly just butt slow so I can wait until April. I find that disabling all the notifications and all the features on the nav seem to reduce resources enough where glitches are reduced.

We are all assuming that this revision will be compatible with 11 and 12 MY MFT's aren't we? What if this new version is for the 13 and newer MY vehicles? I seriously doubt they would do that but it's possible. Also, what is the cost going to be? I'm sure it's not free.

As for cost I believe someone mentioned owners are entitled to one free upgrade. Within the first 12 months someone mentioned? .

I am in the same boat, will be under a year BUT I think everyone regardless should be entitled. It is not working as advertised and they should fix it for everyone that wants the upgrade and for free..

As for waiting another 6-7 months I think it is B.S. for them to take so long. Obviously it is not such a priority or they would have hired more people to get the job done in a reasonable time. Get it working as advertised please!! :rolleyes:

Yes the system is OK but I would not go out of my way to show friends how cool it is.

Hope it isn't released on April Fools Day!

I'm totally disappointed in Ford's response to this whole debacle.

I simply "put up" with the failures right now. I'm honest with every single person that asks me about it and Ford has lost A LOT of sales just because of me and my honesty towards potential customers.

Having the system fail and crash has become part of daily life. Yesterday I tried SEVEN times to have the system download an address and each time it just made the ding ding ding "downloading" sound until disconnect.

I finally just used my iphone for GPS. Again. Like I have become accustomed to doing all the time with this useless technology.

Huge fail.

I feel bad for you guys, it's embarrassing to see Ford leave it's new owners hanging with what seems to be a completely unusable system. This has the potential to blow up in Ford's face and ruin their comeback story.

I like the direction dodge is going with their electronics... Garmin gps.
Their eight speed tranny also sounds nice with the gas mileage on that big charger.

Hope by April they have enough time to make mft buttery smooth and fast. Online downloading would be nice too so that we don't have to take the car in to the dealer for update. And a new feature or two...would it be too much to ask for auto-shuffle of wallpaper? (Asking the nav to be more useable would probably be pushing it ;))

People are assuming two things. One, that there will actually be a "major update," and two, that it will be available to existing models. Not sure I'm buying it, regardless of what any Ford Rep insists.

Here is a quote from from the board this summer. I'm not attributing it becasue it's not my intention to call anyone out. There were others saying the same thing:

"I found out first because I got the chance to speak with the Chief Platform Engineer on the Explorer program and he was quite clear that this issue was being taken very seriously right up to Mr Mulally. He promised a major upgrade not update by the end of July so I trust him to deliver."

That "major upgrade" turned out to be 2.11.

By next April the 2011's will be nearing two years old. I really doubt that they're going to be retrofitting some 50,000 11's and 12's with some magical new MFT version. I just can't see it.

you mention "50k 11's and 12's"... but it will be more like 100k+ x's since they have sold 50+k 11's. And we're not talking X's... MFT 2.x is installed on Edges, Lincolns, and the new Focus.

that's a lot of cars with mft 2.x systems... so i wouldnt doubt that they have updates in the future. continuing to work on 2.x and sort out the bugs probably also helps them in next gen development... whenever that is. because of the many platforms its on... i doubt we'll see any major new features.

but too bad any updates will probably be few and far between.

People are assuming two things. One, that there will actually be a "major update," and two, that it will be available to existing models. Not sure I'm buying it, regardless of what any Ford Rep insists.

Here is a quote from from the board this summer. I'm not attributing it becasue it's not my intention to call anyone out. There were others saying the same thing:

"I found out first because I got the chance to speak with the Chief Platform Engineer on the Explorer program and he was quite clear that this issue was being taken very seriously right up to Mr Mulally. He promised a major upgrade not update by the end of July so I trust him to deliver."

By next April the 2011's will be nearing two years old. I really doubt that they're going to be retrofitting some 50,000 11's and 12's with some magical new MFT version. I just can't see it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That was my comment, I have no issue with being called out on it because your right, my info was inaccurate.

Those were the words told to me and I would agree with you that v2.11 was NOT a major update by any means.

I get the chance to revisit the issue again in December.

Back