• Register Today It's free!

Next Vehicle?

xjsport95

Reaction score
City, State
Blossburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hello, I am in the process of buying a new vehicle, I am looking at a 2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer with 90k miles, 4.0 V6 Engine... I was curious if I could have any input from some current owners...
I totaled my current car which was a 08 dodge caliber and sadly chrysler has gone downhill... back to ford...
I was told that the explorers have lots of transmissions problems? is that correct?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

in that year and engine the radiators are prone to going bad. if it has 90k on it i would think it alerady was changed.

i will be honest my 06 was the WORST vehicle i ever owned. I only had it for about 3 years too many issues.

My 06 EB just hit 90K. Still running great. (fingers crossed)

I bought it used at 68K and changed all the fluids, (trans,diffs, trnsfr case) wires, plugs and filters. (oil,gas)
I replaced the front wheel bearings at 75K and did a brake job at the same time
My radiator was replaced before I purchased it. I'm running a 16lb rad cap and no problems.
Alternator went at 80K but is very easy to replace.
Rear stabilizer links broke at 80K but easy cheap part from Rock Auto.
Oil changes every 7K with Mobile 1 synthetic and Mobile 1 filter.

If you can find a newer one (2008-2010) with the 4.6l V8 I would go for that instead. Much better power and the fuel economy difference between the V8 and V6 is negligible due to the V8 having the 6 speed transmission. Also, the newer V-8's have an updated cylinder head design that fixes the difficulty many had with changing spark plugs.

On the radiator issue - a fair number of people here have reported that running a 16 lb cap helps mediate the issues with radiators. I suspect this is true, but more time will tell for sure.

One thing you will do most definitely is bearings. In these trucks they are a known quantity and generally go more or less about 75k miles. The ones in my truck made it to almost 100k because they had been driven on the highway mostly before I bought the truck at around 96k. After replacing them I am at 120k now and things are fine.

Sounds good... I really like that truck lol I had a 99 years ago that was totaled thanks to those tires... no sure what I'm doing yet still waiting for the insurance company for my car

what exactly goes wrong with the engines and radiators?

I've had my 06' for almost 3 years and I love it. Just hit 100k and runs and rides great. Of course I just dropped about $1300 on it for tires, two bearings, plugs and wires, fuel filter, trans flush and oil change. But it's a great truck. I say if you like it go for it.

The radiator leaks.

My radiator recently started leaking. I flushed the coolant and put in some Stop Leak and that fixed it. I'm going to leave as long as it's no longer leaking.

My torque converter is about to go out.

My transmission is jerky in the lower gears. I've just learned to deal with it since I don't want to spend more money on it.

The A/C/Heater blend door was making noise as some of the teeth on one of the gears were stripped. I replaced it myself for $50.

So far I've only spent $56 on repairs and I've had it since ~62,300 miles and it's just under 105,000 miles now. The upcoming torque converter repair will be $240 at the least.

The early V6 had a problem with leaking coolant from the radiator. One person seemed to look into it more thoroughly and said the radiator mounts did not match the body mounts and caused fatigue cracks in the rad. The new rad is apparently a different part number.

The thermostat housing has cracked causing a coolant leak. Replacing the housing seems to fix the problem.

A number of people use a 16 lb rad cap instead of the 20 lb cap to limit leaks. But the 16 lb cap is standard on most vehicles. I have never seen a 20 lb cap except on the Explorers. Increasing the coolant pressure allows for a higher engine temperature before boiling, but it seems overkill for a good cooling system that the Explorer seems to have.

Good luck.

ok so after testing driving a few more vehicles, I narrowed it down... out of a 2002 Land Rover, 2006 Hummer H3, 2002 Toyota 4runner, 2007 Colorado, and 2006 eb explorer... I went with the explorer. I Liked this truck best of all, It drives nice, very well equipped, and its nice looking...

I bought my Explorer in August. I developed a shortlist of Toyota 4-runner, Nissan Pathfinder and Ford Explorer. I needed a 4WD for launching boat and off-roading. The Ford Explorer had the best interior room. I can pack all my camping, hunting and fishing gear in there, including 7' fishing poles without bending the poles. Once on site, I can lay down and sleep in the back without my feet pushing against the tailgate.

ok so after testing driving a few more vehicles, I narrowed it down... out of a 2002 Land Rover, 2006 Hummer H3, 2002 Toyota 4runner, 2007 Colorado, and 2006 eb explorer... I went with the explorer. I Liked this truck best of all, It drives nice, very well equipped, and its nice looking...

Awesome! It should definitely be more reliable than the Land Rover, at least. :D

If you don't have a need for more than 3500 lbs tow rating (or will not be towing anything), then you should look for a V6 Explorer without the Class 3 towing package. You will know the Class 3 tow package by the larger 2" receiver in the bumper and 3.73 gearing for poor fuel economy. Those with the std Class 2 package will have the smaller 1-1/4" receiver, and 3.55 gearing for better fuel economy.

all our heavy towing is done by dads avalanche, we have a 26' cabin cruiser boat... Mine has the 1 1/4 reciever any towing I do if at all would just be the empty trailer which weights about 1500lbs... Im planning to move to southern pa here in a couple months but would only be pulling a small uhaul trailer lol...

Back