Nexus 7 head unit! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Nexus 7 head unit!

I found this guys N7 guide today. Some interesting things here - beyond my skills or desire level. Looks like if the N7 does power down, it won't automatically boot like I thought. But there is a command you can run that will enable it to do so.

http://landoftechnology.com/2013/dash-mounting-a-nexus-7-projectn7/

"One issue with the Nexus 7 is that it powers down when flat [think he means dead] (no surprise there), but when you plug it in, it only goes into charging mode. Without a power button, there’s no way to turn it on!?!?! Wrong! there is a Fastboot command that you can issue to the bootloader to make the tablet power on once plugged it. “fastboot oem off-mode-charge 0” makes the unit power on the instant its connected to AC."

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok 1st post. Joined cuz this thread. Got a Nexus 7 and figuring out how to use it in my Explorer. It's a wifi only(is there any other?). I want it mainly for music but it looks like I can use it for navigation. Like said previously, I will need a transceiver for unlimited radio. I want the N7 to connect to a single DIN car stereo with single CD player. What I plan on doing is to install the N7 in the same place the OP did and put a single DIN stereo under the climate controls if there is room behind the blank plate. I want to be able to easily remove the N7. I hope to use the pogo pins to connect through a hidden usb cable to the stereo.

Please feel free to chime in with ideas or potential headaches/advice. Chaz

It would be great to find an amp/tuner that i could use with the N7 as the UI. I doubt that exists.

There isn't a enough room to put a single DIN below the AC controls - you only get a few inches of depth. I'm going to use a detachable faceplate single DIN installed in the factory slot, but mount the faceplate in area below the AC controls.

The pogo pins don't provide USB support, just charging and analog audio output like out of the headphone jack. There is a good bit of noise on the analog audio out line going that route, and all of my research guided me to buying a high quality external DAC to get audio to the receiver. (I've previously linked to it in this thread.)

You don't need a "transceiver" (whatever that is) for unlimited radio, you can use the single DIN receiver that you said you plan to use. If you want internet radio/pandora you would tether to your phone's mobile hotspot.

I'm permanently mounting mine, I don't see a way to make this look like a factory install while still making it easily removable.

Hey Robbie. I just noticed the lack of depth under the climate controls from the early pictures. Like the idea of fitting a removable faceplate down there. Thanks for the info on the pogo pins. I guess I will use a usb cable to connect from receiver to N7. I think that will also charge the N7. I'm really not interested in additional data connectivity through a mobile phone. I will be interested in an in car setup for phone calls through my phone.

Goals of the setup....
Connect the N7 through usb to the receiver for music pizza dc power.
Use the N7 for GPS. (need to verify no data connection is needed.
Use receiver for good old fashion radio.
Connect phone (using usb splitter) to receiver for phone calls. Phone will lay in junk tray.

Is there a receiver out there that can hpizzale multiple usb devices? If no, I might use usb on the N7 pizza bluetooth on the phone if possible.

Why the #### is pizza being placed in reply?

You don't just connect straight to a receiver via USB... you can either use the N7 headphone jack and plug into an input on the receiver, or go the USB-DAC route and plug the DAC into an input on the receiver.

Using the USB-DAC requires the use of an OTG cable, which allows for simultaneous charging and use of the USB-DAC. This may require rooting, custom ROM, and custom kernel... I'm not positive because I'm going to do run a USB hub to connect an external harddrive which definitely requires custom ROM and kernel, so that's all I've researched.

You can have Maps cache areas of a map for you while on wifi at home, but I'm not positive you get turn-by-turn voice navigation on those maps without a data connection.

I plan to route calls through the receiver using Bluetooth... many of them come with built-in Bluetooth, some even have an external mic you can mount near your visor.

If you haven't already, I suggest a heathly dose of XDA... search and you'll find a lot of people working on this for their cars, lots of useful threads over there.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1673

A couple decent threads I've bookmarked that might also be useful:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1934722
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1994763&highlight=usb+hub+dac
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/37755-ti...host-power-management-usb-audio/page__st__180

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone had actually got this to work? I'm currently working on the same concept using the 2013 N7 (with LTE service) and was running into a lot of the same issues being discussed here, so I was curious if anyone found a solution to any of them. The biggest one being the placement of a radio somewhere else in the vehicle. Also, any solutions for mounting the N7, either in front of or behind the bezel? Thanks!

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone had actually got this to work? I'm currently working on the same concept using the 2013 N7 (with LTE service) and was running into a lot of the same issues being discussed here, so I was curious if anyone found a solution to any of them. The biggest one being the placement of a radio somewhere else in the vehicle. Also, any solutions for mounting the N7, either in front of or behind the bezel? Thanks!

I did one on my 2002, rerouted the radio in my center cubby, just had to extend my wires, tablet connected to the bluetooth on my tradio, got a unlocked Hotspot off ebay bought a 10g data plan on cricket (at&t service) and I'm all set. I since got rid of it.

Back