NHTSA and Front Suspension Investigation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

NHTSA and Front Suspension Investigation

Chief

Reaction score
City, State
Bedford, NH AIM: Chief Miscreant
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Acura 3.2TL
Explorer & Mountaineer Safety Notice
Published: September 22, 2000
Source: Condition of anonymity
By: Robert Lane

After the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration announced that they were launching an investigation into the Ford Explorer's front suspension <Detroit Free Press article link>, Ford Motor Company has issued a consumer notice.

The owner notification (#00M11) will cover the front sway bar end links 1995 though early 1997 model year Explorer and Mountaineer models. The dates of vehicles under the notification include all 1995 and 1996 models and 1997 models produced up through 31 October 1996. The program will extend the warranty coverage for 10 years of 100,000 miles.

Consumers may call 800-392-3673 for more information.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Extend the warranty coverage of the entire vehicle or just the replaced parts? I'm confused...
BTW~ I STILL have not received my recall notice and there is a crack going half way through one of my links! Has anyone near Franklin County, VA got their recall notice yet?

This has nothin do with me explorer because i have a 91.
Just wanted to say hi to a fellow franklin countin. If you want to go wheelin some time let me know.

BTW~ I STILL have not received my recall notice and there is a crack going half way through one of my links! Has anyone near Franklin County, VA got their recall notice yet?

My mom thinks that they might be doing it in alphabetic order. We have two explorers and our friends have one. Our explorers are under the names Van Sise and Henle. Our friends is under the name Rocco. In December we received a notice for the one under the name Henle. Then like 3 weeks later our friends with the name Rocco received one. We are still waiting for the Van Sise one. Maybe they don't want everyone running to the dealer at once.

[Edited by Keith on 01-28-2001 at 08:48 AM]

Notices

Like an idiot, I didn't check out this thread first and posted this question under the stock ezplorer sections, but does this cover both sports and xlt and/or eddie bauer? I haven't gotten a notice yet, (last name clemens) but my coworker has. She got hers yesterday. perhaps they are doing it by region or something? Something about breakage and cold weather conditions. Not good sounding...that's for sure!

I think this covers most 95 to 97 Explorers (manufactured between those dates). It should cover all trim levels. I got a notice a few months ago about my 96 Sport. If you have any doubts about if yours is covered, call the dealer and give them your VIN. They should be able to help you out. When you take your truck in for the recall, make sure they have the parts in stock. Due to the nationwide recall, these replacement parts are turning over fast.

So, like what would happen?...

If say, the linkage was to break? On one side or both or whatever?

The front swaybar would most likely fall off your truck. At speed, this could be bad. The loss of the swaybar in itself isn't that bad, you'd just lose some stability. It's the fact that a big part might just fall off that's bad.

Mine had broken off of just the drivers side. Didn't Know until went to go do my brakes and saw the sway bar up in the air.

Of course...

Originally posted by Alec
The front swaybar would most likely fall off your truck. At speed, this could be bad...

LMAO....you think!? The following situation occurs:

<driving 80mph down the highway>
<Clunk....THWAAP.....SCREEEEECH!!>
"Uh...Bill? What was that?"
"Our swaybar, most likely."
"Isn't that sort of important?"
"No, Ford's covering it with an extended warrenty."
<switches lanes and loses control>
"Oh my!" <Explorer rolls over, killing occupants>

Later that night...

"This is Channel 7 News, apparently, Firestone tires have caused yet another rollover and unfortuantely more fatalites."

LOL..in all due seriousness, this is a problem Ford should take care of swiftly, it could be dangerous. :D

The sway bar is bolted on to the frame by a couple of "C" brackets. If the end links break you probably would hear a clunking going over bumps and you would sway a little more going around a corner.
I got my notice last week and have to see if they will give me the links for a 97 as I bought a 98 sway bar to replace mine. Explorer Express says the 98 bars are better, firmer, whatever. If I do the labor they should give me the part. Hope so..

Its not that bad if it brakes. My passengers side broke and I drove knowing it was broken for over 2 months. All I noticed was the front dipped a lot when going into a turn.

So what is the deal?

Are they replacing them? Or just warrantying (sp?) them longer? LIke if I go in there, if they aren't broke, are they gonna replace them?

Back