NHTSA investigates Ford Bronco 'catastrophic engine failure' reports | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

NHTSA investigates Ford Bronco 'catastrophic engine failure' reports

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Turdle

Lowrider
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
Broken valve springs also are a plague to chevy- gmc trucks.

Small V8 get broken spring replaced. Large V8 get all springs replaced.

Nothing to address the damaged piston and valve

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
50 known engine failures so far. The way I've seen the headlines I was expecting hundreds of thousands of bad motors. The vm 3.0 diesel used in the dodge trucks and jeeps has a higher failure rate.

J_C

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Florence, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4WD 4.0L SOHC
50 known engine failures so far. The way I've seen the headlines I was expecting hundreds of thousands of bad motors. The vm 3.0 diesel used in the dodge trucks and jeeps has a higher failure rate.
You could be right that the number failing is low, but that 50 is only what was reported in a single forum.

Plus the article was dated June 3rd, but the forum topic referenced was updated June 18th and already 5 more, 55 now.

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
You could be right that the number failing is low, but that 50 is only what was reported in a single forum.

Plus the article was dated June 3rd, but the forum topic referenced was updated June 18th and already 5 more, 55 now.
I'm sure there is more than that number out there, just seems like covid where a 2% failure rate is the end of the world. I hope ford does a good job making it right, in the end that is what matters most. Things happen, nothing is perfect.

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
It sounds like they found some new cheap valve springs, for a good price.