Nice Brakes!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Nice Brakes!!

My buddy just got this X from his sister who REALLY neglicts her vehicles. Just to give you an example, we had to rip the rear carpet out of it because it smelled like puke and we couldn't get it to come out. Also, and this is the honest truth, the truck has over 100k miles on it and the oil hasn't been changed for well ever 35,000 miles ago! :eek:
Anyway, here is a pic of what we found after checking the rear brakes because the pedal was going to the floor and the truck was not stopping :eek:

Attachments

• 640x480kennys brakes2.jpg
    640x480kennys brakes2.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 774

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got brakes......Ummmm no.:eek:

wow all i can say is wow!
did it have any oil in it after 35000 miles?
i cant believe the engine still works!
i also cant believe that noone was killed with those "brakes" that dont exist.

...and that's only what you have discovered so far. You neglect an old truck for 35,000 miles and you got one useless truck that might be beyond repair. Well, at least, more than its worth.

any pictures of the brake drums? man, that is fierce. I thought my father walked away with the award for neglecting brakes. This takes the cake!

Dane

When I got BamBam back from my ex-wift, she had put 27,000 miles on it in about 4 months (don't ask me how) and had not changed the oil. It ran like crap. The first oil change came out of the drain like pancake syrup, literally.

I changed the oil about four times in two weeks with some BG deturgent, and now, at 170,000 miles, it still runs like a champ and uses no oil! You just can't beat a good Ford truck.

She also let the front pads go to the metal. I wish I had pics, but that was before I'd found the forum. Those ABS rotors are WAY expensive.

You should b!tch slap his sister. Seriously that is very dangerous, and she is lucky her ignorance didnt cause others harm.

LOL.....you would Josh.....ha ha that was funny......anyways after looking at that picture i just gasped, those looked horrible.

the backing plates arent even there anymore.... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Originally posted by Josh S.
LOL, hope she was hot at least:D

Seconded. :D

How do you pass inspection with something like that? I failed inspection many times with my stang because of brakes, bald tires, headlight covers, almost failed because of tint ;) . When i failed because of my brakes they still had pads on it but were low ... i cant see how something like that can go unnoticed.

Ya that was my Mom's rear brakes on her 1997 Acura when I came home for thanksgiving vacation. She told me "it grinds and squeels."

Sure enough, her rear rotors were ground down, and there was NO pad material left on any of the 4 rear pads, just the steel backing. :nono:

that looks like my E-brake pads

Originally posted by 99explorer5.0
How do you pass inspection with something like that? I failed inspection many times with my stang because of brakes, bald tires, headlight covers, almost failed because of tint ;) . When i failed because of my brakes they still had pads on it but were low ... i cant see how something like that can go unnoticed.

I'm not sure of PA's inspection laws, but I know that in Mississippi I've gone to get my inspection sticker on more than one occasion without doing anything more than pulling in, pulling out my wallet and handing the dude $5 for the sticker, which costs $5. Either way, we don't do anymore than just turning on headlights, honking horn, turning wipers, stepping on brakes, turning turn signal and hazzard lights on. I've never had to had emmissions checked and brakes checked in inspections. That's one reason why I like living in Mississippi.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A long time ago, I got a 1986 Full-size Ford Bronco with a Fuel-Injected 5.0L from my mom. I got it when it was 4 years old, with about 40K on it. She had never changed the oil in it. That's right, the truck had the oil in it they put in at the factory. I changed the oil then and every 5-7K.

That truck was amazing. I told myself that I would just run it until it blew up. But it never did.

12 years later, with over 230K on the engine, I sold it. There was nothing wrong with it, I just wanted a smaller car. The thing ran without a problem (at least with the engine and transmission). It had tons of power when I sold it. The ONLY thing I replaced on the engine was a timing chain (the sprocket on the original stripped at about 110K. I put a Edlebrock Roller Chain on it).

The paint was original (except where it was bumped a few times from other idots.) That factory paint was also amazing. A bird could take a huge dump on it, and you could wait months before cleaning it off and it would not harm the paint one bit. DON'T TRY THAT WITH A NEW HONDA (I speak from experience. If you have a Honda, you better keep a small bottle of cleaner in the trunk with a rag. That paint is so thin that birdcrap will eat it up in a few hours, and the *******s at Honda will tell you "tough")

Amazing! I love Fords.

Back