• Register Today It's free!

Nickel Anti-sieze?

Boomyal

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Ltd
I'm gearing up to change my plugs in my newly acquired 2006 4.6l V8. I've called two NAPAs and one speed shop autoparts store and they both turned glassy eyed when I asked about nickel anti-sieze.

Does anyone know a chain autoparts store that carries it? I'd hate to have to go online to order one little 1/2 oz tube of the stuff.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is regular antiseize not cool to use on plugs? Because that's what I use...
Sorry to derail, but you got me curious.

The 4.6L 3V plugs have proven to be a nightmare on some vehicles. Probably not a good idea to deviate from the TSB instructions. Interesting there's no mention of using it on the 3V plug threads, only the ground straps. I'm inclined to agree with you RangerX, ANY anti seize is better than none in aluminum heads. Some people say never use anti seize on conventional plugs that are plated due to over tightening and grounding issues. Apply it very sparingly and don't over tighten. Easy enough, and good for another 100K with the peace of mind of not seizing.

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=142690

I use this:
http://www.amazon.com/BOSTIK-Nickel-Special-Anti-Seize-Brush/dp/B006YVF05O
The main reason is because I get it free. The Army uses this stuff on their aircraft mostly on the turbine engines because of the heat. I frequently perform maintenance on their turbine engines and I have never struggled removing any threaded engine component.

Wow, that would be a lifetime supply. Now I have seen it in a 1/2 oz container (too little) and a 1.2 lb container (too much). Maybe we should be using Bostik's Nuclear Grade Nickel Anti-sieze?:D

I still do not see why you shouldn't use it on the plug threads? I understand that if you do you should reduce the torque but it would sure seem to help deal with the OTHER plug problem, ie, stripping the threads out of the heads

Found an 8 oz can, at a good price and free shipping.

http://www.shoplet.com/Never-seez-Pure-Nickel-Special-Compounds-NSBT-8N/SEPTLS535NSBT8N/spdv?ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=SEPTLS535NSBT8N&ci_gpa={adtype}&ci_kw={keyword}&rtop=1

Just a little dab on the threads. Don't smear it on there. Grainger has it on the shelf if there is one near by.

Too much will reduce the torque value needed to get the plugs tight.

Or try this.
http://www.texacone.com/antiseizecompound.html

Too much will reduce the torque value needed to get the plugs tight.

Even small amounts of anti-seize will still throw off applied torque. One way to get around this, is to measure run on torque with a dial indicating torque wrench. Recording the torque required to screw, bolt, or threaded part until it is fully seated. Then add that to the specified torque to get the final installation torque.

Even small amounts of anti-seize will still throw off applied torque. One way to get around this, is to measure run on torque with a dial indicating torque wrench. Recording the torque required to screw, bolt, or threaded part until it is fully seated. Then add that to the specified torque to get the final installation torque.

Remind me! What is the torque? 25 ft lbs?

It seems the loosening torque is supposed to be about 32 lbs. That is apparently just below the break-away torque of the porcelain/ground tube?

Yeah, I went everywhere looking for it. Nickel antisieze is required because you need to slather it in the electrode sheath. Use sparingly on the threads. Nickel has a much higher operating temp than regular antisieze. Which would probably last longer especially since on the 3V plugs. I went to NAPA an autozone. Finally found it at pep boys here in NYC.

...... I went to NAPA an autozone. Finally found it at pep boys here in NYC......

My local NAPA touted that they used Permatex Products but did not show any nickel AS in their catalog. I did not know at the time but Permatex does have it. I ended up ordering an 8 oz can of Bostik off the internet.

Back