• Register Today It's free!

Nissan Titan Credible?

tommy96XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Reno Nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I've been looking at Titans ever since they came out and from what I have read and what they say on commercials, it seems like a serious truck. Do you guys think that it is a serious truck or is it still a weak Nissan? Im wondering all of this because my brother is going to get the X when he turns 16 (november) and my family wants to get a truck for hauling stuff back and forth from Reno and Lake Almanor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you think that the Titan would be reliable?

wow I didnt know it would be a good off-roader too :bounce:

nissan was late with their entry, but they went all out on it. out of the reviews ive read, its about dead even with the new F-150 in comparison tests.

The only bad thing is that you dont get many choices in cab configurations or enigines. It only comes in a King cab or Crew cab and you can only get one engine.

The good thing about limited motor choicea are that they usually pick a good motor, if its all they offer, and the parts are likely to always be in stock. What does it have in it anyways?

It has a 5.6 liter V8 rated at 305hp and 380ftlbs of torque. A guy at work has one and i got to drive it. Here are my impressions-

1- Power is underrated (this has actually been said by a few magazines). The thing flat out hauls @ss. The guy ran a friend of his in a regular cab hemi 2wd and smoked it. It pulls pretty hard throughout the rpm range. Has a nice flat torque curve.

2- Tow rating is 3/4 ton-ish. 9500lb tow rating.... hell thats almost mid-eighties dually territory. If you tow alot but cant afford a diesel, this is the truck for you.

3- Its big. Its really big.

4- If i had the bling for a new truck right now, i would be rolling in a Titan hands down. Im not a big import fan, but IMHO Nissan just blew the doors off the half-ton community with this truck. To me its better than the rest in every way. The only thing im not 100% sold on is the styling. Its livable, but im not in love with it.

if i was getting a truck now, it would be titan. easily. the styling isn't my favorite but i can live with it for that truck.

i didn't know it was a d44 under the rear. seems a little weak for the application?

IMO I really like the way it looks.

From all the reading I've done, its definitely the Titan and new F-150 on the top of the truck hill. The Titan's engine dominates the Ford's and is a little cheaper, but other then that, it seems like the Ford wins. Styling is no contest, interior comfort/style is no contest. You get a lot more choices to build the exact truck you need from Ford and you get a truck that you know is well-built and reliable. I know Nissan builds good stuff, but there's a reason the Ford has been the best selling truck for over 25 years. Get a new bright yellow or red FX-4 F-150...mmmm that's a sweet truck.

Fords quality and reliability have been slipping for years. Ford is also losing a ton of sales ground, and will be overtaken by Toyota in the next few years. Ford seriously needs to quit pinching pennies and build a better product, or they are in trouble.

Umm...if you look at # of recalls and the reliability/quality ratings, Ford's drastically improved since the ouster of Jacques Nasser three years ago. It takes a great deal of time to make changes in a company that big and Bill Ford Jr.'s changes are finally beginning to show results. Ford is losing market share, yes, but they've decided to concentrate on their strengths rather then solely going for sales numbers. Case in point, the reduction in fleet sales of the Taurus. And the quality of Ford's trucks has never been in doubt. How many major recalls can you name in the past 5 years for the F-Series??

I am not familiar with the F-series trucks recalls as I have never owned them. Ford has a bad habit of letting known problems go, which is causing them to lose their repeat customers to better auto makers.

I have seriously been discussing the Titan as a future tow vehicle for my explorer. I have never in my life even looked at an import, but I like what I am seeing and hearing about the Titan.

jayhawk- my mom keeps spare coilpacks in the glovebox of her F150.

Of course they have their problems, but overall they're great trucks. I don't know why else they manage to sell over 800,000 of them a year.

Truckmagik, you can take a little bit of solace in knowing that its built in Mississippi at least. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FORD as a company has lost my respect. they could build an amazing vehicle and i still won't consider another ford. their service and tendancy to ignore common and known problems and their service departments is enough to make me look at the others. i had originally planned to look at the F150 in a few years when i get a new DD, but i don't see that happening.

i like my explorer, but i can't say it has been problem free. yes i wheel it and use it to haul stuff and beat on it. i don't expect any vehicles to be 100% problem free, but there are too many common issues that ford knows about and just says "oh its the nature of the explorer" or some stupid crap.

Back