Nitrous for the first time.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Nitrous for the first time....

So I am starting a project soon where I take a 2 door 2wd Ex drop a 5.0 in it and make if fun and fast... BUT what I want to do first is experiment with Nitrous first on the stock V6 engine, the Nitrous (Wet system) kit seems pretty straight forward... But is all I need to do is hook up the wet system and go, or do I need extra tuning? Will it work, or do I have make adjustments to make it work? I am not looking for optimal amount of HP, but I just want to hook it up and make sure it works, then swap the engine, and get more serous with it. If I don't have to I don't want to spend time tuning an engine that I am getting rid of, hence all the questions, so what do you guys know about this.

Thanks for any input, I got to get going on this ASAP to beat my friend by the end of the summer, lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well,
If you don't care about the engine,

First thing, be sure you have a good working video camera.
Second, double check the camera. Don't waste good video material.

Hook that stuff up and lets see what it does. From what I understand about wet systems, there is an additional fuel line for the intake, so, it "should" be protected well enough for a light shot. Tuning would of course get the most out of it, but I am curious how well the stock PCM would adapt to a 75 shot.

We should make this a poll. :D

To be honest that is really the goal, lol. but if tuning is needed I will have to do that, I just want to beat my buddy once down the quarter. As far as tuning goes, can I go to any shop, or is thee somewhere specific I should do?

I got a bet with a guy at work to be as fast as his Firebird, only go to get down to the 10s. got $100 on that bet, lol.

1/4 mile

Nice looking truck! (avatar)

10's ?
You better just save $100.00 to give to him.
I think Troll was the fastest explorer ever documented on this forum and if I recall correctly it was in the 10,s. I don't think any other explorer ran 10's.
Of course if you are talking about 1/8 mile I will just put my foot in my mouth, at least I have clean socks on today. lol.

In all seriousness they make kits for specific vehicles that supposedly don't need any tuning. You could get one of those to put on the 4.0L but it might not have the best results with the 5.0L and tuning might then be required.

I have started looking into this a little since I am planning on using nitrous this coming year. In an explorer where the back is like a hatch back or wagon where there is no trunk you have to have a blow down tube to vent the nitrous outside the vehicle if the bottle pressure gets to high. I recommend only buying the bottle from a reputable seller so you know no one messed with the pressure relief on it. Just look up nitrous tank explosion to see what a bottle can do to the back of your vehicle if it ruptures do to over pressure. Normal pressure is around 1,000 psi in the bottle.

Also you will need a fire extinguisher as a wet system mixed with a backfire will toast a few things under the hood, and the whole vehicle if you don't get the fire out. Just look up nitrous backfire for that one.

Both of those things are probably mandatory to race at you local track, you will probably need a fire retardant racing jacket as well.

Wet systems are actually the best,.
as the nozzle not only injects the n02 it feeds the fuel it needs too,

although a bit complicated they are fairly safe if you do it properly,, make sure it gets the fuel it needs,leaning out one of these is spendy ,,

Nice looking truck! (avatar)

10's ?
You better just save $100.00 to give to him.
I think Troll was the fastest explorer ever documented on this forum and if I recall correctly it was in the 10,s. I don't think any other explorer ran 10's.
Of course if you are talking about 1/8 mile I will just put my foot in my mouth, at least I have clean socks on today. lol.

In all seriousness they make kits for specific vehicles that supposedly don't need any tuning. You could get one of those to put on the 4.0L but it might not have the best results with the 5.0L and tuning might then be required.

I have started looking into this a little since I am planning on using nitrous this coming year. In an explorer where the back is like a hatch back or wagon where there is no trunk you have to have a blow down tube to vent the nitrous outside the vehicle if the bottle pressure gets to high. I recommend only buying the bottle from a reputable seller so you know no one messed with the pressure relief on it. Just look up nitrous tank explosion to see what a bottle can do to the back of your vehicle if it ruptures do to over pressure. Normal pressure is around 1,000 psi in the bottle.

Also you will need a fire extinguisher as a wet system mixed with a backfire will toast a few things under the hood, and the whole vehicle if you don't get the fire out. Just look up nitrous backfire for that one.

Both of those things are probably mandatory to race at you local track, you will probably need a fire retardant racing jacket as well.

Thanks man, I actually like you Ex a lot too, it is also the inspiration for my next project. As far as the one in my Avatar, she is my DD, so I don't play with her too much. I know I can get it down into the 10's with a lot of power, and less weight. It will just take me a while. Since not a lot of guys on the site here have a track setup for NOS on their trucks, I have been looking at the competition, the TBSS forums, and asking questions as far as NHRA legal setups. This summer is going to be a basic setup, with a stockish 302, suspension, and brake work, along with some weight reduction, I am hoping to low 14's, possibly 13's, the following summer will introduce a 4 link in the rear, and a more permanent engine/trans combo. and the rest is up in the air. End goal is obviously 10's, and I will get there, but I also want a truck I can drive on the street to shows and such, the street racing scene is huge around here, and I want to confuse some people with my truck also.

Wet systems are actually the best,.
as the nozzle not only injects the n02 it feeds the fuel it needs too,

although a bit complicated they are fairly safe if you do it properly,, make sure it gets the fuel it needs,leaning out one of these is spendy ,,

I have been reading a lot, and it seems that tuning, although expensive, is cheaper then blowing up an engine, so that might be what I do, but It will have to be on the 302, so that's fine, it just means I have to do the engine swap first.

Not to mention guys, I really want to have a Coyote 5.0L in the truck by the time I'm done with it, with a procharger, or NOS, so I can for sure get down into the 10's, with some serious modifications obviously.

engine

The Coyote engine would be an awesome swap, I would love to see that come to be. Whatever you do, give us pictures! lol.

The Coyote engine would be an awesome swap, I would love to see that come to be. Whatever you do, give us pictures! lol.

No doubt, I have been pricing out parts for weeks, just go to see what exact engine I will have. Probably a 98-01 5.0, with the better heads. Still not sure on having a forged crank or not, it's hard to determine how much power I will have, and if I will make enough on the original 302 to justify the price for all forged rotating assembly. This truck will not be a slouch, it will make some TBSS owners cry, lol.

Trail Blazer SS

One day I was at Atco raceway on Mopar Day.
I got in for a test and tune during the event. Funny thing was I had an eBay bolt on hood scoop that was a Mopar design. It was ugly, that hood scoop.
Anyway here I am making runs in the middle of Mopar day, people seeing my truck were like what the??? lol.

That day there was a whole group of TBSS's there, they told me about their forum and how fast those truck were. They were really nice and their trucks were really fast to my surprise. Then they told me how fast the Jeep SRT8's were and had me go over to a group of them to check them out. I was amazed again, the Jeeps were even faster than the TBSS's.
It was a good time for all that day. Cant wait for the track to open up for this season.

1/4 mile

One more thought.
For a 4500 lb truck (yours may be more or less), you would need 450 HP to run a 12.5. That is according to online calculators. Real results may vary.

10's

To run 10.964 in a quarter mile you would need 660 HP.
According to this online calculator.
http://www.hotrodpitstop.com/tool.php

Stock block and non forged components would not hold up past 500 HP on the 98-01 5.0L the block would break.
That old 5.0 is not a coyote motor.

12.5's are doable with stock block (450HP).

As for the original question. ..make sure you tap into the feed line before the fpr for fuel. .swap plugs out to NGK TR6 PLAIN COPPER (gapped to .035) and a 75-100 shot would be fine on stock tune..you could go to a 150 but timing would need to be pulled, for track may be able to pull the "shorting bar or octane bar"" and run a 150..it will be a dog till the nos came on tho..dont belive stock pump or motor will handle more than 150 wet shot.....o yea run highest octane you can get ;)

I am loving the support guys!!! so 700hp small block is in order? lol. I feel like that is doable.

But in all seriousness, If I did all forged components, head studs, new fuel pump, ect, ect. I could probably make close to 700hp on Nitrous.. I know a lot of mustang guys go real big with the 5.0, so I have a ton of help as far as that goes. Even if I just start out on small shot, I can always work my way up to a big shot for more power later, I just want the foundation of the engine to be solid, that's all.

My advice was for the 4.0 ohv incase you didnt know..lol

Nitrous

If you are going to do up to 200HP nitrous kit there are plate kits for the Explorer 5.0. That would mean your engine would have to make 500 Naturally aspirated to get 700HP. This is at the crank too, so minus 15-20% to the wheels. I don't know if the online calculator I was using was HP at the crank or wheel.
There is one for older explorer's with 5.0's on Summit for $699.00
Part number TFS-N5158

There are also plate kits that go up to 300HP if your engine only makes 400HP naturally aspirated.
Nitrous Express Ford 5.0L Nitrous Plate Systems 20102-00
That kit is $968.00 and does not come with the bottle.

So to start out you need to build the 5.0 with 400-500 HP with heads,cam,forged bottom etc.
Stock block can not handle over 500, so you will need a racing block. Summit and Jeggs are good places to start shopping.

Or you could start out with the stock 5.0 with around 210 HP and add the nitrous and see how much it could take before blowing up. That's probably what I would do. lol 210HP + 250 shot of nitrous = 460 HP and 12.5's in 1/4 mile. In theory.

What's the difference between a racing block and a stock 5.0 block? Are there more head bolts or something? But to keep cost down I may just keep the stock block though, but basically max it out as far as power.

Block

I believe it is the casting thickness and a bunch of other details.
The stock block will crack. 500HP is about max for it.
So somewhere in the 12's is the best you can expect to achieve with stock block and 4500lbs. Low 12's if at 500HP.
Still very fast for an SUV. Stock TBSS's are in the 13's and SRT8 Jeeps 12's if I recall correctly.
Your truck may weigh more or less.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well the Explorer it is going in is a 2 door sport, that is 2wheel drive, with a fuel cell, and some pretty serious weight loss. not sure on how much, but my end goal it to make it appear stock, be somewhat comfortable to drive, and to confuse the heck out of people.

Back