• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Nitrous.....Who has it?

Spdrcer34

Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XL
Anyone here have the cajones to put Nitrous in their Explorer?

OHV, SOHC, V8....doesn't matter.

You don't have to reply HERE in the thread, just send me an PM....I'd like to discuss a few things with those people that have done it.....

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

bmxking5

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport & '96 XLT
BoominXplorer(sp?) had it on his Mountaineer.

au01st

Reaction score
City, State
Auburn, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac
I don't, yet, but I plan to install a Nitrous Express wet system 50 shot before August, and get it dyno'd and have my tunes adjusted properly before steppin up to a 75 shot. I can give you info after it's done if you'd like.

CodePoet

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
I've actually been considering it. I'd like to do a rebuild on the engine sometime in the next couple years, and adding a few performance goodies would be nice. I wouldn't use it much since it's a trail rig but a small shot MAY be helpful in some situations :D

If money allows i'd like to do something like those guys over on 8secsplash have done and use 96+ heads on my 93, and do some some porting. A good cam would be nice too.......off topic sorry. I know that Alec did at one point, THINK he had an sohc.

Spdrcer34

Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XL
Well I've been talking to people that HAVE done it....and getting some ideas from them...

Thanks,
Ryan

justin146

Reaction score
City, State
Oxford, MS-- home of the Ole Miss Rebels
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT Sport 5.0 Turbo
I had it on my turbo Bravada for a little while, but took it off because there is nowhere around here to fill it, and I was worried about killing my bottom end. I was using a 75-125hp Nitrous Express variable wet kit for a Mustang (70mm throttle body plate). It made a pretty big increase in power, because I didn't have an intercooler- I went from a really hot intake temp to really cold.

rocket 5979

Resident Gearhead
Reaction score
City, State
Lake Villa, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT 4.6
I have a NX/FJO electronic progressive controlled 100 wetshot on my 2005 LS that I installed. I know a thing or ten about nitrous, superchargers, turbochargers and overall performance. PM me if you have any specific questions you need answered.

AiwaExplorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
Anyone on here spraying on there SOHC....with stock internals? any problems? and what jet of spray are u using...id like to use nitrous at the track!

au01st

Reaction score
City, State
Auburn, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac
All my parts are arriving, I'll be installing on the 21st. I got a Nitrous Express Ford EFI kit, automatic bottle heater kit from Cold Fusion, a MSD Digital RPM Window Switch, and a dual purge kit from Cold Fusion. I'm going to run a 75shot at the track only (not on the street). I will be taking tons of pics during the install and hope to have a some low 14sec runs.

rocket 5979

Resident Gearhead
Reaction score
City, State
Lake Villa, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT 4.6
au01st said:
All my parts are arriving, I'll be installing on the 21st. I got a Nitrous Express Ford EFI kit, automatic bottle heater kit from Cold Fusion, a MSD Digital RPM Window Switch, and a dual purge kit from Cold Fusion. I'm going to run a 75shot at the track only (not on the street). I will be taking tons of pics during the install and hope to have a some low 14sec runs.

What times are you running right now?

Nevermind. Seen your other post. 15.5 and then adding those mods and then running a 75 shot of nitrous should get you mid 14's in the 1/4.

Last edited:

rocket 5979

Resident Gearhead
Reaction score
City, State
Lake Villa, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT 4.6
Anymore updates on the nitrous some of you guys were planning to install? Hope it works out well for you.

95offroadx

Reaction score
City, State
Palmyra, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer xlt
badass kit man! i want to run a 75hp shot on my 4.0ohv soo i can atleast do a 16 sec 1/4 mile run, but my al4d will probably poop out after 5 shots

95offroadx

Reaction score
City, State
Palmyra, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer xlt
just curious, but what would a safe nitrous shot for a stock 4.0ohv and a stock al4d auto tranny be? what would the safe nitrous shot be for a stock 4.0ohv and a stock 5spd manual?

n3m3s1s

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas,Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Aviator 32v V8
you guys runnin the laughing gas should look into a tune first...im sure rocket knows what im sayin.

rocket 5979

Resident Gearhead
Reaction score
City, State
Lake Villa, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT 4.6
n3m3s1s said:
you guys runnin the laughing gas should look into a tune first...im sure rocket knows what im sayin.

Yep. If the trucks aren't getting tuned for the nitrous then big kabooms happen. How you tune it all depends on what type of nitrous kit you have.

au01st

Reaction score
City, State
Auburn, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac
Which is exactly why I'm having my tuner install it and tune it, and it will only be run at the track. I leave for ATL in about 7 hours...

Creager

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport 4x4
spdrcer, you giving me expensive ideas.

For those who were interested in running nitrous on a first gen. On an OHV, you might actually want to look towards a set up simular to what i got. Its a relativly easy setup to go for, and yeilds ~300 hp with nitrous. From what i understand, anything more the that on an OHV you are simply asking for trouble.

nitrous loves the higher compression. ranger power sports is where you would want to start researching.

au01st

Reaction score
City, State
Auburn, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac
Well, we didn't get finished. Everything is mounted and placed so we know where it's supposed to go, all that needs to happen are the switches need to be wired up in my console and glove box, bottle heater needs switched power wire run to it, I need to cover all the hoses and wires with wire loom, and it needs to be tuned...

I have a question for the experts that ARE running NOS here. What spark plugs did you use? I'm thinking that the Autolite Copper plugs (Part # 103) will do okay if we up the fuel pressure a little more, but if anyone here has a better plug they reccomend, and you own and use nitrous, I'm happy to try it.

Anyways, here's a pic of the engine bay...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Jakee

Reaction score
City, State
Huntsville, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport
au01st said:
Well, we didn't get finished. Everything is mounted and placed so we know where it's supposed to go, all that needs to happen are the switches need to be wired up in my console and glove box, bottle heater needs switched power wire run to it, I need to cover all the hoses and wires with wire loom, and it needs to be tuned...

I have a question for the experts that ARE running NOS here. What spark plugs did you use? I'm thinking that the Autolite Copper plugs (Part # 103) will do okay if we up the fuel pressure a little more, but if anyone here has a better plug they reccomend, and you own and use nitrous, I'm happy to try it.

Anyways, here's a pic of the engine bay...

Looking good. Good luck to ya.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S ZEX dry Nitrous, has got to be a joke Need for Speed! 19
3 Nitrous Need for Speed! 0
Awon2zip Nitrous 1994 Explorer Need for Speed! 278
1 Nitrous for the first time.... Need for Speed! 45
S Will a stock 5.0 handle a 200+hp shot of Nitrous? Need for Speed! 29
R Pics of my Lincoln LS nitrous setup... Need for Speed! 25
R 2005 Lincoln LS w/ 100 shot nitrous new best ET's 11/18/06 Need for Speed! 13
C nitrous questions Need for Speed! 10
K Official 4.0 SOHC Nitrous Thread! Need for Speed! 4
boominXplorer My nitrous purge kit is on! Need for Speed! 5
S Nitrous injector..... Need for Speed! 15
V Question on spark plugs for nitrous system Need for Speed! 8
V Wanting to install nitrous, what all will I need? Need for Speed! 8
E nitrous cam, and in-car cam swap info thread Need for Speed! 15
E more intelligent nitrous questions Need for Speed! 0
E nitrous with stock fuel... 5.0 x and 3.0 dohc escape Need for Speed! 18
boominXplorer Boomin Gets NITROUS!!! Need for Speed! 39
C Nitrous( beat the dead horse ) Need for Speed! 6
S Nitrous mods Need for Speed! 2
S Nitrous Bottle Openers Need for Speed! 4
S What do you pay for nitrous?? Need for Speed! 7
S Nitrous tips / general info Need for Speed! 20
A nitrous Need for Speed! 12
james t i want my nitrous back! Need for Speed! 22
Alec The nitrous oxide is no more.... Need for Speed! 7
4 Nitrous Express Need for Speed! 6
U Nitrous from the `Stang? Need for Speed! 8
Alec Note to nitrous users Need for Speed! 3
E Nitrous Shots Need for Speed! 4
Alec Project Splat: Nitrous Oxide Need for Speed! 28
99SportX '99 Explorer LS Swap Finished - Was has anyone done it? Need for Speed! 59
RubySlow RubySlow Has Missed you all! Need for Speed! 23
B Has anyone tried acetone in thier fuel? I DID! Need for Speed! 4
R Has anyone found a 75 mm TB with the IAC valve port? Need for Speed! 1
aldive Who has a "bad" Explorer? Need for Speed! 41