nitrous with stock fuel... 5.0 x and 3.0 dohc escape | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

nitrous with stock fuel... 5.0 x and 3.0 dohc escape

I'm looking to hook up a real simple nitrous system in my bros escape and in my explorer. We are mainly just doing it to get a noticeable seat of the pants difference and so that we can have the purge for stuntin'

with this kit, we'd have no fuel boost.

http://truckperformance.com/product...+Injection+Nitrous+Kits&sf7=Incognito+Systems

i haven't determined which nozzles come with it, but from my knowledge i could run a 50? shot with no fuel boost in my 5.0 assuming my fuel delivery was working properly and i didn't have my chip fuel leaning chip hooked up...?

also, the escape has the dohc 3.0 similar to svt contour etc... how much nitrous could we get away with in that without running into trouble? 30? 50? 450?

also, would that kit be a good thing to go with for a real cheap system? i mean all we want to be able to do is drive into a parking lot and hit the purge... and it would be nice to get a little speed out of it as well obviously, but really its worth $300 to have the purge.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow that's a tiny bottle. I'm not really sure how long it would last, but the price on the kit is great. You could always upgrade bottle size if you wanted.

You should be fine with the 50 shot, as with the escape, I'd try about a 50-75 shot with it. My buddies mom has one and that little thing isn't slow at all.

For that price I'd def. buy it if you're not buying it for the strip and just to intimidate. I gotta convert to 2WD before I get juiced up again.

I have a 65 shot on my truck with no fuel boost other than what my pro-m maf gives me. I use a 10 lb bottle on a zex kit. That bottle wouldn't last worth a damn. Nitrous is addictive! I would use that bottle up in 2 passes on a 1/8 mile track.

we absolutely must be able to completely hide these systems. that bottle is 3.5" diameter by 11" etc.

how long would this bottle actually last? would i be able to use it for a weekend during the summer? like probably hit it at wot just on the street a couple times for fun and purge it a few times? btw- how quickly does purging waste the nitrous?

i think we'll probably just stick with 50 on both trucks, but i'm glad to hear ya'll think more would be fine (50 is the biggest nozzle that kit comes with)

mine is completly hidden except for the bottle. Knowing you, you could fiberglass something up to at least hide a 5LB bottle.

nah, not even fiberglassing to hide it. I want it truly hidden. no suspicious shapes, no nothing. Mine will be in my center console in the rear mounted to the floor. but in my bros truck there are very few good hiding places.

So i really need to know just how long that little bottle will last. i will not be taking either of these cars to the track. I just want to be able to get 5-10 second bursts out of it maybe once in a while and have enough to purge it and have some fun showing it off. I've read about so many people installing nitrous on their vehicles and hardly ever using it. and besides i really can't afford to get in trouble racing etc. i just want it so i can fly down an on ramp every once in a while to impress my friends etc. that kind of thing. I think ya'll understand what i want. can the little bottle get me through friday and saturday night?

i did a bunch of research and according to nx this bottle would last 25 seconds while running a 50 shot. thats a pretty long time.

still want to know how much is wasted by a purge, but obviously that has to do with how long the line is to the purge, and how long i push the button for. I'm just looking for a consensus amount type thing from someone who knows.

wow its not even steel braided??? What is the full PSI of one of the bottles? I know mine is around 750 or so and I know that would blow a line like that

where bout's in the twin cities you from?

i'm in minneapolis, right by the u of m campus

i don't know the full psi of the bottle, but i doubt they'd set it up so that it would blow the line etc. i do like that its black though for the hiding aspect of things.

doug- i'll read that link in a second- i'll assume its helpful and thank you in advance

i'm disappointed in the link, and not even sure how to respond about it.

50 hp for $350 bucks with a cool purge thing would rule

0 hp for $200 bucks and a ricey purge thing would make me a fool

Just wanted you to be able to explore all your options.

I would say stay away from that incognito kit. It offers zero tunability. It has a solenoid but that is about it. Nothing else. Plus that is a tiiiiiiiiny bottle! I know that you want to hide it and all but two uses and it is gone. The nitro line isnt even steel braided too! I would label this kit under the EL CHEAPO category. I know NX makes it and they are very reputable. But that does not mean that even the best companies dont offer crap sometimes. There are better systems out there. NX offers others, NOS has some too, Venom (waaaay too high in price), Zex, and so on. The cheapest your going to find most kits that will run safely will be in the $450-500 range. Then add in the purge for about $100. All set up and ready to go without worry of messing anything up for about $600. If you want it truly hidden then you might want to get a remote bottle opener too. That way you dont have to dig it out of its hiding place all the time just to open the bottle.

what other tuneability would we want? it opens up at wot and sends some no2 into the intake. what else would i want?

i've been researching all over the net and i can't really figure out what i'm missing here.

yeah, its a small bottle. but nx isn't a company that shoudl put out something that wouldn't work etc

I didnt see anything about a nitrous management unit in there. If that kit has an NMU with it then your set. All I seen was a nitrous solenoid. As long as it has something that is programmable and hooks up to the throttle positioning sensor to basically sense when WOT has occured and then in turn open the nitrous solenoid then your set. Check really closely cause that kit resembled a sneaky pete type of system which is probably not what you want.

nah, so what your sayign is that i definitely want more of it out of my hands than just a wot switch?

i think i understand how the zex brain thing works etc. etc. so i should go with something in that direction for sure?

what is really the danger of just having it armed and open at wot with the switch?

expo5.0 said:
what is really the danger of just having it armed and open at wot with the switch?

Ok so this kit has an arming switch and a WOT switch or is it a momentary switch. Kind of like, "push the button and hold for nitrous", switch. Like I said as long as that switch attached to the TPS to get the WOT voltage reading then it is good to go. Any other way will not be as accurate. Alot of people make fun of zex cause they havent been around for a long long time like alot of other companies but they do make some pretty decent stuff. I like the way the zex nmu functions. And being that your truck is a 1996 then you have a return fuel system that can actually use the vacuum attachments for sensing fuel pressure and adjusting nitrous injection accordingly. Anyone with the 1999 and up cannot do that because Ford went returnless then, so no FPR for them. I would say my best advice would be to go with a good price but dont sacrifice safety of your engine just to save a buck or two. That inexpensive NX kit will most likely work ok for you. But it doesnt look like a kit worthy of having in anything else besides a civic neon or other ricemobile who cannot afford a real nitrous system. You have went all out on every other aspect of your ride. Dont sell yourself short and get something just because of its low price. Get something that is worthy of going into it. I am not saying to get the Venom 3000 kit for over a thousand dollars or anything. But now is not the time to try to save an extra buck or two. When I think of mods I think of the power I will get, the fun I will have, and how safe it is on my vehicle and me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back