• Register Today It's free!

no 4x4 in reverse

wirzy79

Reaction score
City, State
philadelphia,pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport
I just got a set of auto hubs and they are not locking in reverse. My question is should they? Do the manual hubs engage/disengage when going from revere to drive and vise versa? I got stuck 3 times because they wouldn't engage in reverse. Any answers would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you put grease in them? If so it might be the problem. Manual hubs stay either locked or unlocked, if you have the means to do so convert to them.

its my understanding that with the auto locking hubs

to engage them one direction you have to move that direction like 9 feet....
to engage them the other direction you have to move that direction 9 feet to unlock them and then another 9 feet to relock them that direction...

so if you were rocking back and forth then they would only be working one direction because you werent moving enough the other direction...

and yes manual hubs should fix this.

at least thats my understanding... i could be wrong... guess i'll find out when one of the more knowledgeable guys comes along...

Auto hubs needs more than a few inches to unlock then lock. I think it's roughly 15 feet to go from locked to unlocked to locked, in the other drirection.

Yes, manual hubs will fix this. They are locked %100 of the time, as long as they are engaged in the "Lock" position.

yes retiredsparky was correct about putting grease in them they will not let the Auto Hub fully engage.... these auto hubs suck. you should have bought manual when you got new ones.. Ive had many probelms with these Auto hubs, manual is the way to go if your doing Off Roading...i compelety snapped mine today in the snow its like there made out of plastic or somthing....these hubs are a weak point in the explorers

Back