No AC or Heat | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No AC or Heat

rhalls

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
About a year ago before winter hit I went to turn on my defrosters to defog my windshield and when I turned it on I got no heat, but the fan still blew, though got a little burning smell for a bit, and I could hear the AC compressor engaging and disengaging in about 5 second cycles. Each time it did my oil pressure would suddenly drop and the car would lurch and the RPMs would drop. This also seemed to cause the AC to stop working as well, the fans only blowing ambient temperature air.

I went that winter with no heat and left it alone. However, hoping to avoid this again, I tried turning on the AC and the Heat. I get fans blowing, and I can hear the AC compressor cycling at idle, but no pressure drops or RPM loss anymore. When driving I don't notice the cycling, though this could be cause I can't hear it, but still no heat or cool air.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did not, so I'll have to find out how to get to it and how to check.

Edit: I should say I have noticed clicking sound coming from behind the glove box where the actuator is when I start the truck.

So I manage to pull the blend door actuator out of the system and while the car was running I tested to see if it would turn and got nothing.

I'm guessing it needs replacing?

So I manage to pull the blend door actuator out of the system and while the car was running I tested to see if it would turn and got nothing.

I'm guessing it needs replacing?
I believe u are right in that assumption. I just replaced mine and "wala' I have heat. R&R is a bit different in my '04 than your '01 but results should be the same. Good Luck

Your blend door actuator is stripped. You will need to replace it. The actuator sits on top of the heater box behind the glove box.

Do you have the manual or automatic HVAC controls? It matters because the blend door actuators are different.

Back