It's HER truck
Reaction score
City, State
Arvoinia, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT, 4.6L
Callsign
KA3NXN
I have a 2002 explore with a 4.6 L engine and when I’m accelerating I noticed the tachometer sometimes will go as high as 4000 to 5000 RPM but she just will not get up and go I’m curious to find out if anybody’s had this issue and what the resolution is.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2002 explore with a 4.6 L engine and when I’m accelerating I noticed the tachometer sometimes will go as high as 4000 to 5000 RPM but she just will not get up and go I’m curious to find out if anybody’s had this issue and what the resolution is.
Is the transmission slipping?

It does down shift and it doesn’t feel like it’s slipping.
Is it always sluggish or does it come and go randomly? Does engine temp affect anything? Can you hear a miss at all? When’s the last time you changed the spark plugs, pcv valve, coil packs and fuel and air filters?

Climbing any hill no matter how small it gets sluggish. On a straight away I can get her up to over 90 mph. Also, when she down shifts, sometimes the transmission will kick on the down shift, sometimes it's a smooth down shift. In either case it will just loose speed as it's climbing.

Climbing any hill no matter how small it gets sluggish. On a straight away I can get her up to over 90 mph. Also, when she down shifts, sometimes the transmission will kick on the down shift, sometimes it's a smooth down shift. In either case it will just loose speed as it's climbing.
Have you replaced any of the parts I mentioned above recently? Any Check engine?

I found the problem and it was the dumbest thing. One of the cops was completely unplugged.

Back