No acceleration

tobyt2000

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Exporer
Hello,

Have a 2002 Explorer with 4.0L SOHC V6 engine. Problem is that it will not accelerate at all. When given gas will only hit about 2,000 RPMS and bog down really bad as if not getting any gas. Explorer will not pass the 2000 RPM mark even when in neutral. Had same problem with F-150 and turned out to be Mass Flow sensor. I replaced the Mass Flow on the explorer, swapped plugs and fuel filter and still having problem. Once the MF sensor and plugs were replace engine ran a little better on idle but still no acceleration. Found rattling sound under driver’s seat and appears to be catalytic converter that is making noise. There is airflow coming from exhaust but do not know if this could be cause of problem. I would appreciate any assistance that is given.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your cat could be clogged it happened to one of my friends cars. and also ur fuel pump that happened to me cept the truck died and didnt start again

I have a feeling that it is the cat also, Vehicle starts up fine and idles ok but once transmission is engaged it gets really rough. Will have to tow to muffler shop, vehicle will not go past 10mph. That really stinks, someone told me I should get the timing checked. Stated that chain or belt may be slipping. What do you think? Shoud I check timing belt or just tow and have converter replaced?

That really sounds like clogged cat. A good exhaust shop should be able to tell you pretty quickly. Does it make a weird sound when you rev it up? Like a four barrel carb kicking in but no power?

my brother is having the same problem with his 94 ranger.
i told him it was prbly the cat or the transmission because he has problems getting it in gear sometimes also!
:usa::roll:

Back