• Register Today It's free!

No Brake light frustration

Wiley1

Reaction score
City, State
Norwalk, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport, 03' XLT
03' explorer... Brake lights went in a strange way. Day before yesterday was having problems getting the gear shift interlock to disengage. Discovered last night that when I pressed lightly on the brakes I had break lights but when I pressed harder, break lights went out. When the brake lights were on the gear shift interlock would disengage & vice-versa. Soooo, I pulled the plug to the stop light switch on the brake pedal & plugged it back in. No brake lights, period, after that. Checked every single fuse in both boxes (found 1 blown and replaced it) but still no brake lights & no shift. Replaced the stop light switch. No brake lights, no shift. Checked the plug going to the SL switch, it has power. Checked the continuity of the SL switch, checks out ok. Would a bad gear shift interlock solenoid be causing the problem? I'm at my wits end.

take out the switch and check for continuity when pressed, also you can try a jummper wire between the pins and see if the brake lights come on.

I checked the continuity of the switch (see original post) and it was fine. I did try a jumper wire on the plug, no lights. Just a sidenote, all other lights are working (hazards, turn signals, tail) just no brake lights.

FIXED! After 15 minutes and $65. There was something that went bad in the after-market remote starter unit blocking the signal to the shift interlock solenoid and essentially the brake lights. Mechanic had to disable the remote starter to get brake lights working again.

Back