• Register Today It's free!

No brake pedal

Chris Rambo

Reaction score
City, State
Montgomery, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
I was driving home and my brakes went out. The brakes will stop, and without any noises, but the pedal goes all the way to the floor (after stopping). I checked the fluid level-its fine. I checked the vacuum hose to master cylinder-its fine. I just ordered rotors and pads so I planned on doing a brake job when the parts get here, now this no pedal thing. Anyone with any thoughts on this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It COULD be a scoring in the master cylinder walls allowing fluid to pass around the piston, did it drop right to the floor or sink? I'd also check the lines before the M. cylinder(since its probably a lot cheaper fix), and a brake job probably won't do anything except make your wallet thinner..

Check your brake lines... tend to rust thru around the 100,000 mark.

BTW: Scared the Sh*t outta myself... literally... just parked a 5,000 lb trailer after a 8 hour drive... dropped the trailer... pulled out a few feet and tried to stop...

The pedal fell to the floor under the weight of my boots... the corroded line popped under pressure... and started puddling under the rear axle.

It COULD be a scoring in the master cylinder walls allowing fluid to pass around the piston, did it drop right to the floor or sink? I'd also check the lines before the M. cylinder(since its probably a lot cheaper fix), and a brake job probably won't do anything except make your wallet thinner..

It sinks. The brakes stop fine. It is after you stop the pedal just keeps going to the floor.

that generally points to the master cylinder

Back