• Register Today It's free!

no brakes

adam gies

Reaction score
City, State
palmyra , NEB
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 eddy baur
my girl friends 93 explorer,s brakes every once in awhile go to the floor and it seems there,s a humming like noise almost a grinding coming from the floor like in the brake peddle area under the floor. the front brake are still good so i know it,s not the pads it,s almost like a electric motor noise is it the abs motor the abs light is on any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Make sure the fuses are still good, also make sure everything is still plugged up. A bad fuse/connection might be causing this, but I'm not sure... Can you try to test the ABS motor/connections to make sure they're working/getting a signal.

my girl friends 93 explorer,s brakes every once in awhile go to the floor and it seems there,s a humming like noise almost a grinding coming from the floor like in the brake peddle area under the floor. the front brake are still good so i know it,s not the pads it,s almost like a electric motor noise is it the abs motor the abs light is on any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

If the brakes "go to the floor" you definitely need a new master cylinder, and a full system bleed, which will include a bleed of the ABS system. You must have a special tool to bleed the ABS, or take it to a shop that can do it.:usa:

It doesn't mean that you 'definitely need a new master cylinder'. It means you probably have a leak somewhere, could be the master cylinder, could be anywhere else. Is the fluid level in the resevoir dropping? If so, start by parking the truck, pumping the brakes, and check the inside of all four wheels. See if there's fluid on the tires or the ground.

I just had a rear wheel cyclinder blow up and it poured fluid out the back of the wheel. A friend borrowed the truck and it lost brakes all together (pedal to floor). He had to drive it home with the e-brake.

thanks lbarr2002 but the funny thing is that the reservoir is not moving or no fluid coming out of the wheels

Could be the power brake booster also... start the truck and have somebody pump the brakes. Listen close to the booster and see if you can hear it leaking. It can also change the idle of the truck (vacuum leak).

Back