no cel light in my xplorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

no cel light in my xplorer

Reaction score
City, State
surrey bc canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer xlt
i have been try to fix my truck to with no success but thats another thread. in the process i dicovered that my 94 xlt has no cel. no bulb, no socket, no wires, and no sighn there ever was one. does any one know anything about this???

i posted this thread a while ago with no responses dosent any one no anything or what??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anybody else missing there check engine light

i recently discovered my 94 explorer has no c.e.l. and am wondering if anybody else has encountered this????. with my truck there is no sighn that one was ever there and had been removed. so im inclined to think that mabye there never was on. any thoghts would be nice:salute:

I don't know for sure when a CEL was mandated by federal law, and if it was different in Canada than the states. my impression has been that it was sometime in the '80's. I find it really surprising that you claim there is no evidence of ever having a CEL. Are you certain you are looking in the right place (left side of the dash, below the water temperature gauge, next to the left turn signal indicator)?

yes im sure . there is no marks on or around the hole where the socket should be. there is a hole and the spot on the dash does say chek engine but no light or socket or even wires. Im still trying to confirm if it was tampered with or not. i can't get a strait answer from ford yet but i will keep digging. thanks for the input.:salute:

So there is a spot on the dash that says Check Engine; I was getting the impression that even that part was missing.

Based on what I know, which isn't necessarily the last word on these things, I would be inclined to believe that somebody has tampered with it. Or maybe they replaced the dash, and decided to cut the wires rather than install the CEL socket or something.

One thing I might look at would be to get a good wiring diagram that shows which pin(s) go to the CEL, and see if you can start at the PCM and trace the wire that should be going to the CEL.

94 Definitely has a check engine light from the factory.

There isn't really any wires going to it directly, it just has one of those twist and lock bulb holders that goes in the hole and connects to the copper traces on the back of the cluster (which can't be seen from the front). I think all you are missing is the plastic socket and bulb. If you look at it from the front it will look just like an empty white hole. The wiring is part of the big connectors going to the cluster. Remove the whole instrument cluster and get a new bulb and holder in there, should work fine. Some dumbass probably took it out...

Hint: You have to squeeze the flat sides of the speedometer cable to release it so you can remove the cluster, though there might be enough slack so you might be able to replace the bulb without doing that.

thank you tedj. you gave me the right answer. i looked into it and your explanation is the most likley one. i am looking into replaceing it as you read this. i:thumbsup::salute: will update when finished.:D

in the mean time if youre still trying to diagnose an engine problem there are other ways to read your CEL w/out needing the light to blink. do a search for EEC-IV self test. you can use a multi-meter or a voltage light at the underhood connections to do the tests.

i will look into replacing the cel later. i went and bought a obd-1 ford code puller at crappy tire(only $50) and pulled my codes. did three tests and all three showed 157 and 158. thats right the maf sensor putting it in tomorrow thanks every one!! :p::salute:

Back