no check engine or fuel pump when key turned | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

no check engine or fuel pump when key turned

mrjoe16

Reaction score
City, State
Mojave, ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Hey everyone first post and first problem. I have a 1994 explorer XLT and sometimes after I stop somewhere and come back it won't start. The engine will turn over like normal but no fuel pump sound and also no check engine light. I'll keep turning the key to the on position and only the battery light comes on, no check engine or fuel pump sound. Then all of a sudden everything works and I drive off without any problems. I've changed the lock and cylinder, the ignition switch and still does it. My pump is fine, my fuel kill switch is fine I've swapped all the relays and still does it. Please help me!!! -Joe.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey everyone first post and first problem. I have a 1994 explorer XLT and sometimes after I stop somewhere and come back it won't start. The engine will turn over like normal but no fuel pump sound and also no check engine light. I'll keep turning the key to the on position and only the battery light comes on, no check engine or fuel pump sound. Then all of a sudden everything works and I drive off without any problems. I've changed the lock and cylinder, the ignition switch and still does it. My pump is fine, my fuel kill switch is fine I've swapped all the relays and still does it. Please help me!!! -Joe.

Try removing and cleaning the battery terminals. The inside of the terminals on the cable ends and the battery posts must be nice & shiny clean. When you remove them, look for evidence of darkening, brown discoloration, where the terminals insides and the posts meet. This is due to heat build-up (if there) which causes intermittent bad connection when heavy (starter) current tries to flow. Sometimes, low-power loads, like parking lights, even headlights work OK, but the starter current draw will not flow.

Just a thought. imp

Had the same thing happen to me last week,
Culpit was the DPFE sensor, I guess a short circuit in it was enough to kill the computer
No CEL, No code output, no fuel pump run.
It won't cost a penny to just unplug the DPFE sensor and give it a try,
Marv

Thanks marv and brooklynbay for your help. Where would I find the DPFE sensor and the PCM relay? I replaced the EEC relay with a new one and so far no problem but it's only been a few hours. When I pull the EEC relay it does that same exact thing as when it's acting up. I install the relay and it starts perfect. IMP I thought it was my battery too but I have replaced it already and the cables are still nice and soft so I think I'm good there. This is my first Explorer and I really like it alot but it does have issues dur to the last owner never took care of it. Next problem I have to tackle next weekend it my 4wd stopped working, I push the switch on the dash and no light, no 4wd no nothing. Lol at least I have something to do in the garage next weekend. Thanks for the help again guys!!

PCM is ECM = Engine, Control, Module, Commonly refered to simply as the Computer, on the 94 X it is in the relay box, (located under hood just above the right front wheel well), it is called EEC relay (Electronic Engine Control relay)
DPFE sensor is located on drivers side just above the oil dipstick, has a 3 wire plug going to it, and two rubber hoses connected at the bottom of it.
Marv

Hey Marv, I looked it up on autozone.com at it came up with a egr valve pressure sensor. It looks the same as you described. Is there a way to test it to see if it is faulty? Thanks for all your help.

Hey Marv, I looked it up on autozone.com at it came up with a egr valve pressure sensor. It looks the same as you described. Is there a way to test it to see if it is faulty? Thanks for all your help.

unplug it, does the car start?

Link for DPFE test
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164517
Waskkly is right, unplug it, engine should run IF that is the problem.
and CEL will remain lit because of improper signal return from the sensor.
Auto Zone did not have them, but Advance Auto does, Part No. EGR151,
BUT yours may differ because of CALIF differs. Be sure to match up the wire plug.
This may or may not be the problem.

Also check your ground cable where it connects to the frame. Had the same problem before and it turns out I was able to remove my entire negative battery cable without tools. Replaced cable and connecting bolts, electrical system way happy again.

I am having the same problem, no engine light or fuel pump.

It started as a "no start with a click click sound" problem but after changing the battery cables (and making sure the connections are clean) and a new solenoid it is now a "won't turn over and no engine light or fuel pump" problem

I got the battery tested today and it is good. I don't have a DPFE. How can I test the EEC? Is there anything else to check?

It's a 91 stock XL

Sorry 2nd edit but I thought this would be a good place to ask this
when re installing the - battery to the block there is also a bracket holding the cables out of the way. In what order does this bracket and - cable get connected to the block? right now I have it block/- cable/bracket/bolt. Is that correct?

Social, one of the important things which "turns on" first thing with the ignition switch is the EEC Power Relay. This powers up the computer, which turnms on the fuel pump for about 2 seconds, initially, and related other stuff.

If the Power Relay is working intermittently, or not at all, the symptoms will be as stated originally here. Intermittent could be caused by corroded connections in the relay socket, or contacts in the relay itself. It's a place to start, anyhow. imp

Hey guys, my problem turned out to be the EEC relay. I bought a new one from autozone for 6 bucks and no problem since. I got one for the fuel pump too just to be sure. I have owned this rig for about a year and have had this problem off and on. Wouldn't do it for months then out of the blue it happens. Thanks for all the help guys.

what one of the three was the eec relay?

Back