No Clutch sound when I turn on AC? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Clutch sound when I turn on AC?

fordexplorerdude97

Reaction score
City, State
Newtown, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT
Hello

I bought my car without the AC working, so I'm not familiar with how a Explorer's AC would act. All other cars I've seen when I turn on the AC I hear a clutch sound even tho they didn't have that special gas for the AC and the AC was warm, but it still made the clutch sound and put pressure on the engine. If my AC doesn't have the special gas, should it still make the clutch noise and get put pressure on the engine? My car is a 97 Explorer 4.0

Thank You

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It depends, the clutch will engage until there is insufficient refrgerant (special gas) in the system. The refrigerant also contains the lubrcant. If there's not enough lubricant then running the A/C compressor can damage it.

If you're vehicle has no refrigerant left because of a leak, the A/C compressor clutch will not engage.

Thanks for your explanation, Its very likely that my AC does not have the gas.

Is there any kits that I can buy and put in the gas my self? or does it have to be taken to the shop?

Check the stickies above for descriptions of what must be done. Actually it isn't rocket science but one does need some specialized equipment; most notably
1. A/C Manifold Gauges
2. Vacuum pump
3. A/C connector tools
4. Eye protection

Look at the compressor you can tell if its engaging or not.

I checked its not engaging, so if I wanted to fix this myself, Do I have to recharge it?

I read that post on recharging the AC , but I don't have the equipment for it, I think I will give it to a shop to do it for me, but I'm not sure about 1 thing, Why did it get empty in the first place? I heard that if the AC is not turned on for a long time like in the winter it can cause the Gas to escape, Is this true? Or does my AC have bad pipes that cause the escape of the gas? Witch one is more common in a 97 Explorer?

The lubricant for the compressor is mixed in with the refrigerant. The story goes that if the A/C isn't turned on once a month, the seals will dry up and let the refrigerant escape. I'm not sure if that is a real problem nowadays as most cars turn the A/C compressor on during the defrost cycle.

Generally speaking the 'pipes' don't go bad, the orings can go bad from being improperly torqued and cause gas to escape but the tubing's pretty stable. Typically on some Explorers the accumulator rusts on the model years that had insulation wrapped around it. Sometimes the compressor seals breakdown sending crap throughout the system and clogging it and sometimes sh*t happens and it just has to be recharged. If you have to charge it up every three years it's tough to get excited.

When the A/C is being serviced the technician will first evacuate the system using a vacuum pump. He will then let it sit for 15 minutes. If it holds the vacuum chances are there isn't a leak and then he will charge it up.

Back