No (cold) air intake available for V6? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No (cold) air intake available for V6?

chemadam

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer Limited V6
Hi All,

I recently purchased a 2010 Explorer Limited with the 4 L V6. I also own a Nissan Frontier (also a 4 L V6) and put a K&N Air intake into it a couple of years ago. I immediately noticed a small gain in power and improved fuel economy so I wanted to do the same for the Explorer. However, after searching a few internet sites, the K&N site included, I am unable to find an aftermarket air intake for it. Do they not exist? I even looked in the book at O'Reilly Auto and they didn't even list the 2010 Explorer as having an Air Filter (though I was able to find one on the website).
I have also searched this forum for a similar topic and have only found some posts about creating your own. I found a thread that says the 57-2573 works but this is not verified on any auto parts website. Amazon specifically says that it does not fit.
Did K&N not make a cold air intake for the Gen 4 Explorers? Are there any other ones out there available? Any that you recommend? Thanks!

^ Agree. Aftermarket intakes have been discussed at length on this forum hundred of times. Most here agree the stock intake is capable of ingesting more air than the engine will ever need. Ever see K&N's "warm air intake" dyno charts? Small HP/torque gains are only above 2800 RPM, hence the reason MPG gains are NEVER given. Stock intake (blue on chart) clearly out performs the K&N at normal driving speed. IF you still want to proceed, here's a DIY version that uses the stock air box. IMO, buy the aFe® 31-10074 Pro Dry-S (no oil) drop in panel and be done with it.

https://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/57-2573_dyno.pdf

My Custom Cold Air Intake (Lots of Pics) | Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

Back