No crank no start, HotRod 97 Mountaineer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No crank no start, HotRod 97 Mountaineer

studebaker47

Reaction score
City, State
Amherst NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997Mercury Mountaineer
I'm using a 97 Mercury Mountaineer frame, engine, transmission wire harness on a shell of a 1947 Studebaker M5 pick-up truck. This has been an ongoing project for the last few years and now I'm trying to get it to start. I replaced the battery, starter, ignition starter switch, Starter Solenoid Relay Switch, Neutral Safety Switch and checked all the fuses. Not hearing the fuel pump prime on key turn. It's a 97 so I don't think that PATS is involved, but is there another computer system that can deactivate the starting system? Was thinking of getting a new PCM. They are fairly cheap around $120. Wanted to see if there was a “dumb computer” one that only does the bare bones. Does anyone have any other ideas of why this is a no start.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You didn't mention the fuel cut-off switch?

The '97 is definitely a PATS equipped vehicle. You better take a look at that.

97 is not pats, 98+ is pats. What is the 4 digit code ontop of your pcm? XDT2, SLL4, SLL3, XDT3 are some of the common 97 pcms

You didn't mention the fuel cut-off switch?
would that cause a no crank though? I'm not sure. is there any way to meter this to check if it good?

I'm using a 97 Mercury Mountaineer frame, engine, transmission wire harness on a shell of a 1947 Studebaker M5 pick-up truck. This has been an ongoing project for the last few years and now I'm trying to get it to start. I replaced the battery, starter, ignition starter switch, Starter Solenoid Relay Switch, Neutral Safety Switch and checked all the fuses. Not hearing the fuel pump prime on key turn. It's a 97 so I don't think that PATS is involved, but is there another computer system that can deactivate the starting system? Was thinking of getting a new PCM. They are fairly cheap around $120. Wanted to see if there was a “dumb computer” one that only does the bare bones. Does anyone have any other ideas of why this is a no start.
just to keep everyone updated, just ordered a new PCM should be here in about 5 day. Will keep updating as I chip away at this problem.

Back