no dash lights | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

no dash lights

Thanks for the video, I have never soldered anything before, but my best friend who lives 3 hours away is an electrician and I am sure that he can replicate your steps. It will probably cost me a six pack or babysitting for an evening but it will be well worth it, thanks again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the video, I have never soldered anything before, but my best friend who lives 3 hours away is an electrician and I am sure that he can replicate your steps. It will probably cost me a six pack or babysitting for an evening but it will be well worth it, thanks again.

Did you find those two black things to be loose?? Let me know if this might be what fixes the problem with your lights! Take care!

woke up before daylight went out cut the lights on started tapping on dimmer module...no flicker..went ahead and took it apart...mine ended up being t-6 torx with two lil clips on the sides to hold the black pieces (that are the suspect solder points)secure. new design maybe? really thought there was nothing wrong but pushed downward on the prongs one by one and wow each of the end ones the solder is broke and the prong moves freely...will be back soon with some results..awesome

Dash lights fixed

this video was right on track. lights successfully fixed..never couldve figured it out without this video..$300EXSPORT is a true team player

this video was right on track. lights successfully fixed..never couldve figured it out without this video..$300EXSPORT is a true team player

Awesome!!! Glad I could help! I wonder how many other people have this same exact problem with their explorer/mountaineer/ranger?

glad you fixed "something" uptonfg.... but I am confused, you had to fix your new dimmer to get it to work??????

budwich.."something"? you tryin to be funny? it wasnt the headlight switch or a splice behind the a/c panel like some may of suggested. it was only and simply those solder points came loose in the dimmer module...everything else was just chasing my tail...never replaced dimmer switch/module just repaired my own thanks to this how to video

as I said "I am confused".... I saw your post that you replaced "a switch" this was just after you were talking (posted) about the light switch AND the dimmer switch cost. I thought that you replaced the dimmer but I now know that your replaced the headlight switch... my confusion and hence the "something". Again glad you fixed it.

I tapped the dash around the roller and now my dash lights are back on, so that is welcomed until I can get those connection points soldered back together, but now I have another problem. The plastic holes that the headlight switch screws into broke off from the panel, I tried using electrical tape to hold the headlight switch against the dash and that fell off. Any suggestions other than buying a new cover panel?

I tapped the dash around the roller and now my dash lights are back on, so that is welcomed until I can get those connection points soldered back together, but now I have another problem. The plastic holes that the headlight switch screws into broke off from the panel, I tried using electrical tape to hold the headlight switch against the dash and that fell off. Any suggestions other than buying a new cover panel?

Doesn't the headlight switch get held in place with the turn-dial anyway? My headlight switch screw holes are broken too but it stays in place because of the rotatable dial.

budwich sorry if i was a jerk.pretty easy to misunderstand over this computer........nueve mine broke same way. i drilled out the holes where the mounting ears on the trim sat. found some super small but long nuts and bolts..went through the holes i drilled in the panel into the holes in the ear of the switch lined up the dial pins and tightened them very lightly.then took some two part epoxy and went around the seam where switch meets trim. holds super strong..only left with two small screws around the knob..put the nuts to the inside though...but guarantees you will have to replace the trim next time around..i can send pics if you like

Busy weekend for me, sorry to just be getting back to all of you. what I did was bought some advanced krazy glue, held the switch up against the panel while putting the the knob on and voila, it held in place. We will see how long it holds. It will be close to 90 degree temps this week so if it can hold up in the heat I will be a happy camper. I also recharged my A/C. I have to replace the bulb in my AC panel and a license plate bulb. Once I get those connection points soldered I hope to have all my interior lighting issues resolved.

no cluster lighting and ac panel minus the warning lights...dimmer works...radio lights work...any suggestions? ive checked all fuses and replaced bulbs in cluster
I am having the same problem with my 97. Can't find a wiring diagram to assist with diagnosis

Back