• Register Today It's free!

no dash or signal lights

captbill

Reaction score
City, State
Roanoke VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Eddie Bauer V-6
My first post and I hope I'm doing this correctly! I originally posted this on an older thread which may not get seen. I have a 1997 Explorer EB auto V-6 AWD. I am having some issues with the interior lights; specifically the dash and signal operations. I just replaced the light out module and that fixed my low beam, high beam and fog light issues. Now when driving during the daylight, all signals work correctly, including the hazard lights. As soon as I turn the parking lights or the headlights on, the signals stop working and the hazards too. The dash lights infront of the steering column go out as well as the HVAC lights. The Radio lights work fine. If you look hard both of the signal lights in the dash are dimly lit, but neither one works. The high beam indicator is also dimly lit. The headlights and foglights continue to function properly. Now heres the kicker, if I take it out at night and run over a big pothole or a speed bump, everything pops on and works perfectly! Then the next hole or bump and the afore mentioned lights go back out. I have been trying to absorb some of the other posts and it seems like it could be:
MFS switch
Headlight and or dimmer switch
loose connection in the MFS switch
a relay
a ground wire somewhere.
I have checked the fuses all seem to be ok but Im not sure how to test them as mentioned here before.
Any thoughts on where to begin or which option I should check first? Or something else I may have not mentioned?
Thanks in advance!
Bill

You need to narrow down the possibilities. It doesn't seem to me that the switches would be affected by hitting a bump unless it was huge. A bad wire, ground, or connection seems more likely but anything is possible. Sometimes just pulling a connector off and reconnecting it or pulling a fuse or relay and reinstalling it. It's not like just the headlight or mfs switch is known to go, everything is known to go. - not much help I know. Usually the negative battery terminal is grounded to the motor with the main cable and the body with a smaller wire. Make sure the body ground is good and clean. - gotta start somewhere - good luck.

well tonight I was sitting in the driveway and I raised the steering column all the way up several times and all of the malfunctioning lights once again came on. Now I wonder if it is something loose in the MFS or something under the dash for sure. Guess I should start under the dash first and then maybe take off the steering column cover and check the MFS?

getting closer... good.... keep going...tap on the switch itself or the column to try and isolate the problem.

Back