No electrical connection to EVAP charcoal canister | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No electrical connection to EVAP charcoal canister

pepehuertars

Reaction score
City, State
Santiago
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Sport
Hi, I am checking the charcoal canister on my 96 ex ohv since I get a fault in the vapour purge according to Forscan. No code or warning light tho.

What I found was that this canister has some kind of a valve or solenoid but no electrical connector attached. Neither can I found a cable to connect to.

Any help will be appreciated.

2204656E-0894-46C5-976F-470B4B1E24CA.jpeg

C84D757D-13F9-4895-9DCD-370D53228ED4.jpeg

CAE79B73-AB4D-4951-ABC8-605850B563D4.jpeg

F86F30B6-AA05-44DC-AC34-D142747535B0.jpeg

3091649F-42A5-49C7-9B24-73BD459358BD.jpeg

39B80C6B-4FC1-4250-94C4-C105977DA92F.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

According to the workshop manual there is an electrical connector referred as "canister vent solenoid hose"... but no sign of it under my car. Does anyone knows from where the cable runs?

Captura de Pantalla 2020-01-19 a la(s) 22.54.49.png

Pepe,I don't think you are being ignored. The weather has been poor winter weather here in the U.S. and Canada so it makes it kinda tough to go outside below freezing and slide up under the side of the truck. That is if one can slide under it without using a jack and stands. I'm curious though and will follow your thread.
Is your Explorer built for export or is a U.S. or California version?

Pepe,I don't think you are being ignored. The weather has been poor winter weather here in the U.S. and Canada so it makes it kinda tough to go outside below freezing and slide up under the side of the truck. That is if one can slide under it without using a jack and stands. I'm curious though and will follow your thread.
Oh! Thank you very much. Here we are "having fun" with some heat waves reaching up to 40ºC (104F)... :p

Indeed you can catch a glimpse without jacking the car but either way, dropping the spare is need to get to the canister.

Thank you again!

Ill look at 4:30 pm today if y'all don't get it first

Thank you very much Donalds. I'll look into it right away. Maybe the cord is hidden up in the frame, I don't know, I'll take a look and report back.

Thank you very much again.

I wondered if it was an export model and maybe that function is turned off in the ECM and a little bit different wiring harness.
Pepe, what is the DSO on the sticker on your drivers door or pillar post?

It seems weird the canister and valve assembly would be there at all

I wondered if it was an export model and maybe that function is turned off in the ECM and a little bit different wiring harness.
Pepe, what is the DSO on the sticker on your drivers door or pillar post?

2ECFC6E9-9A0E-4D63-AFED-9A4DD6E5F796.jpeg

It would be being used just like a stripped down charcoal cannister.

there is a canister purge solenoid up near the engine and there is a canister vent solenoid that resides back at the charcoal canister
The fumes and vapors that are stored at the top of the fuel tank and in the charcoal canister are burned up through the engine intake manifold when you have the fuel feed pedal at WOT
The computer will see WOT and open the canister vent and canister purge solenoids so the vapors can flow into the intake
Your computer is seeing a fault with the system because it appears no canister purge solenoid is present!
Need to find out where those wires went!!!

there is a canister purge solenoid up near the engine and there is a canister vent solenoid that resides back at the charcoal canister
The fumes and vapors that are stored at the top of the fuel tank and in the charcoal canister are burned up through the engine intake manifold when you have the fuel feed pedal at WOT
The computer will see WOT and open the canister vent and canister purge solenoids so the vapors can flow into the intake
Your computer is seeing a fault with the system because it appears no canister purge solenoid is present!
Need to find out where those wires went!!!
I'm really out of ideas atm. I'll take the car to the shop and lift it to have a better POV of the frame and all the stuff that's running there, but atm is like the cord doesn't exist.

This is a 96 Explorer OHV 4.0 correct?

The two wires should be routed along with the fuel tank and tail light wiring harness, the wires come up near the top of the spare tire hoist and should be on the drivers frame rail
Now is something in the past happened and they were caught up in a failed spare tire drop, or a spinning driveshaft it is quite possible they were ripped out of the harness and you will have to dig deeper to find them

You can also consider running two new wires up to the engine harness

How long has the code been present?

This is a 96 Explorer OHV 4.0 correct?

The two wires should be routed along with the fuel tank and tail light wiring harness, the wires come up near the top of the spare tire hoist and should be on the drivers frame rail
Now is something in the past happened and they were caught up in a failed spare tire drop, or a spinning driveshaft it is quite possible they were ripped out of the harness and you will have to dig deeper to find them

You can also consider running two new wires up to the engine harness

How long has the code been present?
It is a 96 OHV 4.0.
I have this truck for the last 3 years, actually there is no code at all. The only warning (at least with Forscan) comes from that particular report showed in the screenshot (EVAPCPF EVAPVM_F) but no code neither a check engine light. I only have the scanner interface for 2 years and the error has been there all along. I must asume by the condition of the electrical connector in the canister that hasn't been plugged in a long time.

I will find the time this weekend to lift the car and look for the harness, at least in my flashlight inspections I couldn't find anything.

Is yours OBDI or OBDII?

Back