No electronic 4x4 on my 91 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No electronic 4x4 on my 91 explorer

kc7waw

Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Bauer
It's snowing here and I went to go into 4wd and no light on the dash. I hear nothing. Went to the section on transfer case and the electric motor. Saw the gentleman who suggested the processor check with the LED and the white button test. He said you have to disconnect the 2 wire connector from the processor. I don't have a 2 wire connector. The only 2 wire connector I can find looks like it goes to the rear window washer. I did the continuity checks recommended and they seemed OK. I unplugged the connector at the motor and applies +-12 vdc to pins 2 and 3 and the motor seems to actuate properly both directions. I tried measuring the voltage at the connector coming to the motor when I pushed the switch on the dash but saw nothing. Is there a way to reset the processor? Could that be the problem? Is there a way to adjust the sensor stops on the motor? I'm stumped and it's snowing!

Thanks,

Matt....

OK, after I manually applied voltage to the motor I put everything back together. When I turned the key on it was in 4x4 low. I am able to go in and out of low with no problem. However, when switch out of 4 wheel drive it won't go back into 4x4. That sounds to me like it might be that plastic stop inside the motor broke or warped. Can I take the torx screws out and get to that screw without taking the motor out or can this solved anyother way. Getting close to the solution.

thanks for the help. Draconis06's link was very helpful. Any other thoughts would be great.

I had the same problem until just a few hours ago. It has to do with the motor on the transfer case. inside there is a piece of plastic that crushes or in my case, shatters into lots of pieces. Go here http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123542 and that will explain a lot. I followed the post yesterday and today when I put the motor back on it went right into 4x4 and the lights came on also.

No take the motor out but you dont have to take it all apart like in the other post. All I had to do was remove the four 10mm bolts from the motor. I didnt have to remove the vibration reducer or the back of the transfer case. It needs to come out cuz the plate the torx screws are holding on needs to be marked from the plate to the housing so it can be lined back up when going back together or it wont work right. The torx are t20 tamper resistant too so go to Advance Auto and buy the $10 kit if you dont already have one. The part number is M90442. Its a 75 piece bit set that cost as much as just the set of tamper proof torx bits but comes with a lot more goodies lol.

Good luck with it and it doesnt take long to take it off probably like 5 minutes but it makes it easier and helps from messing it up worse if you dont get the top plate back on right.

Back