No Extra Power From Downshifting / 3 1/2th Gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Extra Power From Downshifting / 3 1/2th Gear

mp88

Reaction score
City, State
Nesquehoning, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
Alright, I'm getting fed up with this truck and beating it like a red-headed stepchild isn't going to help anything.

This might be a little hard to explain so please bear with me.

For a little while now my car has had a lack of off-hand power. For example, I will be ascending a hill in 3rd gear at 2500 rpm but need a little extra juice to help me pass a coal truck. So I'll punch it, the car will downshift to 2nd, the rpm's will hit 3500 but I won't gain any extra speed. It just unnecessarily revs.

Or even on the interstate. Going 65 in 4th, 2000rpm (is that even normal to be that high?) Downshift into 3rd, 3000rpm, no extra speed.

And here's the weirdest part. Occasionally either by continuing to downshift and recieving no power, or just out of the blue, the car will not hit 4th gear. It will stay in that weird hill climbing gear between 3rd and 4th, kind of 3 1/2 gear. I have downshifted into 3rd while in this middle gear so I'm positive I'm not stuck in 3rd.

The check engine light came on reading an EGR problem, but there's nothing wrong with the EGR. Does this sound like a vaccuum leak or a lack of compression in the cylinders?
Please help.

Back