no factory keyless entry

david_l_h69

Reaction score
City, State
Magnolia, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt 4WD tt 3"bl
what all is needed to add the factory keyless entry system
ive read that you need the keyless entry module that goes in the jack compartment and of course the remotes
but is there anything else?

please help ive been trying to figure this out for 3 weeks now and all the threads i find have no replies

thanks
David

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doesn't your XLT have factory power locks?? If so, then it already has the RAP module and all you need are the RKE fobs.

Doesn't your XLT have factory power locks?? If so, then it already has the RAP module and all you need are the RKE fobs.

i have tried putting it in program mode (by turning the key 8 or 9 times) put the doors dont lock then unlock or vis-versa (which ever one it is)
so i guess not

so would i just have to get the RAP module?

yes it does have power locks

you can check to see if you have a RAP by "peering" into the cargo panel access and looking for a small white box.... that's the RAP. My 96 didn't have one but a "third party" keyless system was a "15 minute" install because of the "easy access" to the unlock/lock relay in the cargo area.

you can check to see if you have a RAP by "peering" into the cargo panel access and looking for a small white box.... that's the RAP. My 96 didn't have one but a "third party" keyless system was a "15 minute" install because of the "easy access" to the unlock/lock relay in the cargo area.

it doesnt have one
thats why im asking if all i would have to do is add one

1. has anyone done this or know of anyone that has?

2. :/ i just went and looked at it closely and i dont see the conector for the rap module could it be tucked in somewhere b/c ive heard that they use the same wiring harnes for all explorers

and ive found things (like the lights on the door panels) tucked up and taped to another part of the harness

3. also how much do you think the RAP module would cost at a pick-a-part

If you plan on getting an alarm system you can have it unlock with the remote, since you have power locks its simple to hook up.

I added a 3rd party keyless entry to my 97 sport. It already had power locks, like yours, and was very easy to install.
I tied in to the lock switch on the drivers side kick panel, parking lights behind the dash light switch, and mounted the brain (as they called it) under the dash. It has worked with 0 problems for over a year now and was well worth it.
Google for keyless entry system and you can find plenty for $30 and up - depending what extras you want.

I also have a 1997 Explorer with power locks but no keyless entry. I have a RAP module from a 1998 Explorer, but I could not find the harness to plug this into?!?

i know that the harness is supposed to be in the jack compartment, either on top or in front of the wheel
i cant see mine from the jack compartment im hopin its tucked down in there somewhere

let me know if you try this or if you find the hook up for the rap module

i don't think the harness will already be in place - its not for most stuff - i had to run the wires for the autolamps/autodim - if i want the eatc, message center or memory seats, i will have to run those wires too

running the wires would be quite a chore - one connector has 16 wires and the other has 11 (not counting the unused pins) - the 3rd party product would be easier

If your Explorer did not come with factory Remote Keyless Entry and/or a Keyless Entry Keypad, it does not have a RAP module and the associated connections. The wiring for Explorers with a RAP module is slightly different than those without--there is an additional relay and associated wiring for locking/unlocking the driver's door independently from the rest of the doors.

A 3rd party (aftermarket) system would be easier to install. Installing an aftermarket RKE system would be the preferred option. Installing it under the dash is easy too--the wires that come from the relays in the back go to the driver's door, so those wires are right in the driver's kick panel.

So that's why I can't find the harness to connect the RAP module.

I have a 96 ex xlt. It came with no keychain remote. the drivers door lock is damaged due to a theft attempt when previous owner had it. There is so much here, but I just can't find it. It, being, I just want to get a keychain remote and open my drivers door instead of using the key on passenger all the time. What do I need, need to look for if it is even possible. I have a keychain remote from a 99 e-150 that is gone. Can I program it to open my door? Just read some of the threads on keyless, etc; and saw your replys, thought you might know. Thanks divizio

Need Facetory Keyless Entry

i need the factory keyless entry because my explorer doen't have it, where i can bougth one???

RE: keyless entry

to RIcArDO1697,
you can check Amazon, , they have bulldog, asta, viper and more RKE systems at affordable prices. Depends what you want. You can get remote start, or just the basic lock, unlock feature though most offer more options than that. good luck You can check other threads here , first you need to see if you have a Rap unit located near your jack compartment, start there

thanks but yesterday i check my explorer and has the RAP module but doesn't works, how i can make it works again???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

can i take the RAP module from pick a part?

Back