• Register Today It's free!

No fan blower

muck

Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, Ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 mountaineer 02 explore
On my wifes 02 explorer the fan isnt blowing anything out at any speed. She is telling me that when it died it just stoped blowing, them came right back on with a high - low - high - low speed. then just died. Does this sound like the blower motor or should i be looking at the resister?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would start with the resistor since its cheaper. Only will to tell is to take a multimeter to the motor leads

I agree with checking the resistor first. I will check my shop manuals and see if I can get you some info on locating and checking it.

Something that works intermittent like that is typically a connector issue. Check the connections for the switch, resistor, and motor. Wiggle and jiggle.

What part of worcester rondo? I was thinking maybe a connection but i didnt see any thing loose when i was checking things out this weekend.

I am in the Quinsigamond Village near Walmart.

Have you tried checking the connections on the fan speed switch & the vent selector switch? When my fan didn't work on #3, I replaced the switch and it's good to go!

To access the switches remove the radio bezel. Use a thin flat object such as a butter knife to get it started, then gently pull it back:

100_7229Custom.jpg

ok i'll try that. i had the idea of putting a toggle on quick to see it it worked.

I used to live over on tatman in Quinsig

with it set on ohms i checked the switch and 3 of the 4 beeped, i figure maybe the 4ths a ground. When i switch from 3rd to 4th I can hear clicking from the blower area. 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd doesnt make any clicking. does this help any?

I live on Whipple. Maybe we can get together and work on this. We're are you?

im going to pick up a resistor and change it out tomorrow. kinda sounds like it might be the problem .thanks for the offer of the help.

Another suggestion is to check/replace the blower motor relay. It is mounted in the Battery Junction Box under the hood. Failed relay means no fan on any speed.

found a used blower motor on ebay for 30 bucks and it did the trick. now i have heat just in time for summer

Thanks for replying back on what it took. Looks like I was overthinking that one. Glad you could fix it cheap.

Nice job on the fix. Thanks for the update. :thumbsup:

Back