• Register Today It's free!

no fuel pump

damnford

Reaction score
City, State
pine city washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer eddibouere
damn just when i thought it was almost fixed now my fuel pump doesn't work. i checked the fuse and finally found the relay( what a stupid place to put it and no diagram to tell you what is what). anyway, where is the inertia switch? the Haynes manual says yep it has one and you should check it, but where is it? i have power to the black wire with the white? strip but no other power to the relay.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the check engine light turn on when you switch key to on? If no, then check ECM power and relay. Fuel pump will not run without ECM power.

Inertia switch is in the corner of passenger foot well, firewall .

https://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/molurch/2009-09-04_174748_fuseU.png

2009-09-04_174748_fuseU.png

This exact thing happened to me.
Fuel pump would not prime, but I could use a power probe and send 12v power to the fuel pump through the fuel pump relay wiring after removing the relay, and hear it running.

The fuel pump relay runs off of the ecm relay so if the ecm relay is bad, the fuel pump will not work.
The tell is no check engine light on dash with key on before starting, like was pointed out above.

it is a 91 so the diagram you show me is the wrong year. the three relays i got are below the power dist box. and the inertia switch is on the passenger side right above the tranny hump where it is a pain to get to.

it is a 91 so the diagram you show me is the wrong year. the three relays i got are below the power dist box. and the inertia switch is on the passenger side right above the tranny hump where it is a pain to get to.
Your profile says 94, nowhere did you state 91

so, I google 1991 ford explorer power distribution box. You'll see lot's of pictures. You're welcome.

i need to change my profile. it is a 91 and i found out the relay is bad as is probably the pump as well. i tried bypassing the relay and the pump didn't even twitch. the inertia switch is ok i tested it as well, when i finally found it.

How did you go about bypassing the relay?

I found a wiring diagram and applied 12 colts to the lead going back to the fuel pump it put out a little pressure but only a pound or two but it was enough to prove continuity to the pump. Now I need t o replace the pump and filter and I might as well change the relays as well. Is there any way to switch over to the duckbill fitting?

Back