• Register Today It's free!

No fuel to injectors

Rickybobby1699

Reaction score
City, State
Portland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer xlt
2001 fuel problems. Getting no fuel to injectors. Replaced fuel filter. Still no fuel. How do I check fuel pump to see if its working before I drop tank. I can spray starting fluid and starts for a second

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can easily check to see if you have fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Look for a schrader valve-like fitting and depress it (cover it with a rag to avoid spraying it everywhere) after turning the key ON/Off a couple of times to build pressure. Can also use a fuel pressure gauge and screw it onto the valve to get a reading. If it tries to start with starting fluid, my money is on a bad fuel pump. If that is the case, best to go with a Bosch pump. Many reports on here of poor performance from Airtex.

First, check the fuel pump fuse. Check whether there is 12V on the fuse box contact. I assume you haven't bumped it in any way that would trigger the inertia switch?

It's probably the pump.

2001 fuel problems. Getting no fuel to injectors. Replaced fuel filter. Still no fuel. How do I check fuel pump to see if its working before I drop tank. I can spray starting fluid and starts for a second
How do you know the injectors are getting no fuel? Even WITH fuel, if they are not being energized, the thing will not start. Starting fluid WILL cause firing-up.

You need to determine whether there IS fuel pressure in the fuel rail; if there is, the injectors are not functioning. If there is NO FUEL in the rail, then go back to pump, filter, lines, pressure regulator. The pump usually can be heard turning on for about 2 seconds when the key is turned to ON; hearing it confirms power to the pump, nothing more.

Here is what I use

Screenshot_20210412-083006.png

Does the dash "THEFT" light flash when the ignition is turned on? That would mean the injectors are disabled(it didn't receive the proper key code).

Confirm the pump makes noise. With no apparent pump sound, verify the inertia switch is functional. It's in the passenger area below the dash on the firewall, just above the rug. Check that the connector is plugged in, then stick your finger in the very top, there's a plastic topped "ball" there which needs to be down fully, not popped up near the top.

Then you could check the fuel pressure with a gauge, but if you're sure it has none, then swapping, and bypassing the relay might be good to do, prior to dropping the tank.

In order of quick checks...
1. Open gas cap and listen for fuel pump whine for a second or two when key turns on ignition.
2. If no whine, swap the only two relays in the under the hood fuse/relay box. One is for fuel pump and other disengages A/C compressor when you floor the gas pedal for more engine power (not an essential relay)
3. Pull off hose in6 fuel pump side of fuel filter and see if gas spurts out.

Plan B. Check fuel pump pressure. Ugh.

In order of quick checks...
1. Open gas cap and listen for fuel pump whine for a second or two when key turns on ignition.
2. If no whine, swap the only two relays in the under the hood fuse/relay box. One is for fuel pump and other disengages A/C compressor when you floor the gas pedal for more engine power (not an essential relay)
3. Pull off hose in6 fuel pump side of fuel filter and see if gas spurts out.

Plan B. Check fuel pump pressure. Ugh.
Why ugh? Checking fuel pressure is super easy, WAY easier than pulling off a fuel line. Having fuel come out of the line itself means little, as it’s not pressurized.

Ditto, check the pressure at the fuel rail of the engine, there's a schrader valve on it for testing with. It needs a gauge though, it's common for a fuel pump to slowly make less pressure, and a gauge is the only way to check it.

For the 1999 up Fords, the pressure needs to be about 60psi, 55 bare minimum. Before then the pressure should be 35psi, about 32 as a bare minimum(40psi with the FPR vacuum hose off).

Back