• Register Today It's free!

no gas no spark

dogtown01

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ford ranger v6 4.0
hi guys, i need some help big time my truck broke, and i am in need of some help. i have a 1993 ford ranger v6 4.0. the original problem i was having is my truck was dumping to much fuel into the engine causing fuel to fall into my oil pan. i only have 89000 miles on this truck and it needed some over haul so i change the coil pack, the pcm, the fuel pressure regulator, new battery, new o2 sensor, new fuel injectors, new alternator, new coolant temp sensor, and after doing all these things hoping it will fix my problem my car developed a new problem. when i turn the key i get no spark and no gas. so than i did these steps to try to fix the problem. i check the fuses all seem to be ok. i droped the gass tank to see if the pump was good and it was good. i put 12v from a power supply i have and the pump kicked on and held good pressure. i checked the coil pack to see if it had 12v going to it and it did so why arent i getting spark and gas. i have no clue can any one please help me.
:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, before you changed all the parts, you had (too much) fuel and spark, and it sounds like it was still running. Now you have neither fuel or spark. As I see it, the only component that you replaced which could affect both fuel and spark is the PCM. You could have but a bad one in, even if it was new. Do you have the old PCM to plug back in and try?

Before checking the PCM, I'd be sure to check the PCM power and ground circuits. Assuming the new PCM is good, it is possible that a power/ground circuit did not reconnect upon installation. Or perhaps in some of the other testing/replacing, you unplugged part of the PCM power/ground and forgot to plug it back in.

thanks guys i been gone for a bit but i will check the pcm power and ground.

well i try'ed two other pcm and no luck any advice on the next step i should take. i have no idea whats killings my spark and gas. there's 12 volts going to the coil packs i checked that and i dropped the tank and tested the gas pump. truly lost any advice would be great full.

The computer controls both fuel (when to turn on and off) and spark (via the ICM). When both spark and fuel are missing, my first thought is that something is still wrong at the PCM or ICM that is blocking them. Were you able to verify power and ground to the PCM? Is the ICM getting power and ground? Is the computer signaling the fuel pump relay to close?

Hi MrShorty thanks for all the help you have given me so far its been really helpful in these stressful times. i don't know how to verify power or ground to the pcm i was hoping to can help me out with that. i know the icm is getting power cause i striped away a little piece of the wire and check it with a meter it showed me 12v.

I would get a decent wiring diagram (even the one in Chilton's shows pin assignments for power and ground). From that you should be able to identify which wires are power (and should have 12V whenever the key is on) and which ones go to ground. When testing the grounds, it is fairly common to have the PCM "pigtails" that come directly off of the battery posts/cables get corroded and you lose your ground connection there.

Corroded grounds is a serious problem, both at the battery and also at chassis points. Don't forget loose connections as well.

Back