• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

No-Go for E-85 in 2020 ST

LurchII

Reaction score
City, State
MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020, Explorer, ST
I am running a tune, and was looking into swapping over to E-85. There is some Internet videos showing people running straight E-85, and 50/50 blend. Here is my issue, nowhere on my truck have I found any of the four yellow marking, shown in the owner’s manual, allowing me to run E-85? Can any later production run ST run E-85? Also can any other versions of the 2020 Explorer run E-85?

Thanks

Jeff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
The 2020 Explorer does not appear to be Flex Fuel vehicle. Even those using E85 exclusively are recommended to use a tank of regular fuel once every oil change.
The Manual also states that the Hybrid engine is not designed to run on E85,

Peter

Jbcain

Reaction score
City, State
Shawnee, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 explorer ST
E50 is the max the factory hpfp can handle volume wise. If you want to run e85 you'll have to run an xdi35r hpfp upgrade.

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
E50 is the max the factory hpfp can handle volume wise. If you want to run e85 you'll have to run an xdi35r hpfp upgrade.

And you will need bigger fuel injectors (obviously if tuning, not for stock e85).

Jbcain

Reaction score
City, State
Shawnee, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 explorer ST
Out of turbo before injectors.

Jbcain

Reaction score
City, State
Shawnee, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 explorer ST
My own st.

Turbos are sitting at ~54lb/min on e50.

Seeing as they're almost identical to the raptor turbos, aside from a smidge smaller turbine, and those are historically taxed at 56lb/min I'd say it's safe to say my turbos are near taxed on e50.

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
My own st.

Turbos are sitting at ~54lb/min on e50.

Seeing as they're almost identical to the raptor turbos, aside from a smidge smaller turbine, and those are historically taxed at 56lb/min I'd say it's safe to say my turbos are near taxed on e50.

Interesting. I do not remember if it was Palm Beach dyno or Livernoise that showed their 50amp tune (I believe Livernois) and they were showing where the pump was running out and stated it would need an upgraded pump and injectors. No mention of turbo, that's where I was basing my comment off of.