No headlight chime, dead battery this morning | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No headlight chime, dead battery this morning

Velvis

Reaction score
City, State
Medfield, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Sport
I have a new to me 2001 Explorer Sport. This morning was kind of grey and dark, so I had my lights on. Came back out to my about 2 hours later and the battery was dead, and the headlight switch in the on position.

So my truck doesn't chime or warn when the headlights are on and the truck is off.

A quick search didn't result in much, not sure if chime, warning, or buzz is the right term.

Anyways, is this fixable?

FYI: The key left in the ignition chime works properly, as do interior lights when doors are open.

UPDATE: I always leave my key in the ignition, which seems to override the headlights on chime. When the keys are out of the ignition the normal headlight chime works.

So I guess I want to disable the key chime, but keep the headlight chime. Is that possible?

edit: intial response deleted - i didn't see where you leave your keys in the ignition (that's dumb).

I have a new to me 2001 Explorer Sport. This morning was kind of grey and dark, so I had my lights on. Came back out to my about 2 hours later and the battery was dead, and the headlight switch in the on position.

So I guess I want to disable the key chime, but keep the headlight chime. Is that possible?

Why do you want to disable the lights on chime if you left the lights on and killed the battery?

No, I dont want to disable the headlight chime, I'd like to disable the key in the ignition chime.

Back