• Register Today It's free!

No Headlights

bolisham

Reaction score
City, State
West Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 4.0 SOHC
My headlights dont work. Neither do the fog lights. I do have dash lights and parking lights. The only time the headlights do work is when I pull back on the turn signal switch like if you where flashing your hi beams to pass. And they also work when I arm the alarm, when the horn chirps and the lights flash. What are my chances that this is a multifunction switch problem? Is there a way to know for sure? 98 ex sport. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check the fuses and relays first...

90+% chance it is the multifunction switch.
On first generation Xs it could be the headlight switch but on 2nd. gen. it is usually the MF switch. The dealer has them as cheap as anyone.

well I changed my MF switch and that didnt fix it. What relays and fuses should I check since nothing is labeled? What other possibilities should I check?

in the 96 schematics (that's all I got). The path thru the "flash to pass" is straight thru... basically only "touching" the MFS. The other path "normal" first goes from battery to the the headlamp switch and then the MFS... check the lamp switch with an ohm meter and see if you are getting continuity thru on the switch position. After the paths go thru the MFS, they go to the interior fuse panel and are fused on 33 ,4 and 8 (in 96). The 33 feed is the "direct" to lights... it also appears to feed the instrument cluster. The other two feeds pass thru the "lamp out" module if you have one. The "4" fuse feeds the left side headlamp while the 8 feeds the right along with fog lights. The "daytime running lamp" is involved if you have one (us guys in canada do). Not sure if it helps because of the year difference but hopefully you get the idea.

It was the head light switch. I took it apart and some of the contacts where burnt. I cleaned it up and bent the contacts so they would make better contact. Its working for now.

Back