• Register Today It's free!

No heat after radiator install

Didionkh

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 EB
Hey all... I've searched the forums and I think that I might be close. I just had the radiator replaced (of course) but now I have no heat. I may have some air trapped in the cooling system, but how do I go about "burping" the system? I have topped the coolant off and no real change.

PS, doesn't seem to be actuator door, etc. Had heat before the install, none after.

07, EB, 4.0

You can try lifting the front of the truck or use a ramp so the radiator cap is at the highest. Then start the truck with the cap off and run it until the thermostat opens, filling with coolant as needed. Don't let the engine get too hot or coolant will spill out off the open radiator.

You can also spend some money and get this

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-24610-S...qid=1416973664&sr=8-2&keywords=coolant+funnel

It's a life saver.

Do these normally need to be burped? I have a 2006 with an anti-freeze change coming soon (1st time on new-to-me vehicle).

Yes all cooling systems have to be "burped", some are easier than others. In the case of the explorer I really don´t know how hard it is, when I replaced the coolant on mine I already had the funnel kit and it was a breeze.

There are a few things to consider regardless the automobile you are working on. The heater has to be turned all the way on when burping the system. If you have dual zone cooling then both need to be all the way on. You have to keep adding coolant and wait for the engine to begin warm up so the thermostat begins to open. You have to be careful as the thermostat opens, there could be serious coolant spillage and you may need to shut down the engine and/or close the radiator with the cap. When I did mine I went to far and there was so much coolant loss that I had to begin practically from the start.

For the OP, if you don´t have heat you need to check the thermostat. There has been cases where it sticks open or it´s forgotten or left out on purpose. If you suspect just replace the thermostat and seal, its cheap.

Back