No heat and it's so cold here, please help... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No heat and it's so cold here, please help...

cc77

Reaction score
City, State
skokie
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi all,

I have a 1995 Explorer Limited (the one with the digital controls) and I only get lukewarm air not hot from the vents/defrost/floor/etc. The in and out lines to the heater core are very hot and the blend door is in the proper position (all the way towards the driver side) but the air just blows barely warm.

The Chilton manual makes reference to another door on the engine side of the heater core but it's vague and I don't know what they're talking about.

Antifreeze is fine - checked level and gravity and all is good.

Also, the blower motor resistor is shot and the fan works on high speed only but it's been that way for a decade and never affected the heat.

Please help and thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you have an air blend door problem. The actuator typically goes bad, or a lever breaks.

There are several threads about how to fix it without dismantling the dashboard. I don't have links to them, but I'm sure you can find them with a search.

Try the first suggestion or... get some hose and an air compressor and blow the crap out of it backwards. If someone hasn't been good on their A/F changes they tend to clog up hence the poor heat.

Sounds like you have an air blend door problem. The actuator typically goes bad, or a lever breaks.

Yes, I've already made a hole in the box and checked the door - it's all the way to the driver's side as it should be for heat.

pcam13, are you saying to blow out the heater core or something else? The in and out lines are very hot so it would seem like there's already good flow.

Yes, I've already made a hole in the box and checked the door - it's all the way to the driver's side as it should be for heat.

pcam13, are you saying to blow out the heater core or something else? The in and out lines are very hot so it would seem like there's already good flow.

Yes I was. I use compressed air all the time and blast it out backwards. Works great. That's good you have flow. I would go with the blend door issue then.

Back