No heat...on the coldest day of the year | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No heat...on the coldest day of the year

WHITEWOLF4861

Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Navajo 4.0 Auto.
all of a sudden my heat just...dies. coolant level is full. it worked last night. now this morning...i froze my a** off... what could be causing this. please... someone help me...:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably the valve under the hood that opens to direct heat to the heater core is stuck -- that, or your system is low on anti-freeze and has frozen inside the radiator, in which case you could be in danger of overheating your engine and never know it (takes circulation to work the coolant sensor).

Try a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator. Cut a hole about the size of a 5 gallon pail in the middle. That's the old-timer's trick from way up north. You simply don't need all the cooling capacity that the radiator has when the temps are close to 100 degrees below a hot summer day!

Make sure the hole is there, or you will suck the bearings out of the water pump from the fan pulling against a wall.

i went out and idled it for a while. temp gauge never moved off C. heater door?

i went out and idled it for a while. temp gauge never moved off C. heater door?

:eek: The temp gauge is on the engine not heater core.. As glfredrick indicated did you freeze the block? Did you pop the hood to check the engine to see if its warm?

If nothing is frozen, you could have a stuck thermostat.

do you have a sweet smell in the inside. if you do look on pasenger floor board for any wetness. the heater core could of went bad. and check to make sure that your ac compressor is still kickin in. you will hear it when it is idle'ing. if its not the core may be clogged.

Back