• Register Today It's free!

No heat or AC, just blows air.

skia4life89

Reaction score
City, State
Lenoir NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 LIMITED
Hey guys, my explorer hasnt had AC in years, thats not what I am worried about, but my heat recently quit working and now that it is getting colder I need to get this fixed. Whether I turn on the heat or AC, it just blows air, not hot or cold, just air. My coolant level was good and air comes out all of the vents. Anybody have any idea what this could be?

99 Ford Explorer Limited. 5.0

Thanks guys.

Check to make sure your blend door actuator is working. These really have an issue. On your model it should be on top of the air box behind the glove box. Note, the most forward bolt is a pita!

I think that if it is blend door issue, it will still blow hot, not just air. MY blend door actuator is not working any more. I manually change the direction of the gear which was controlled by the motor twice a year, one time for cold and one for warm air.

Hey guys, my explorer hasnt had AC in years, thats not what I am worried about, but my heat recently quit working and now that it is getting colder I need to get this fixed. Whether I turn on the heat or AC, it just blows air, not hot or cold, just air. My coolant level was good and air comes out all of the vents. Anybody have any idea what this could be?

Start with the basics - under the hood. With engine warm, turn on heat and see if the heater hoses get hot. If not, then there is something wrong with the control valve or the vacuum lines connected to it. Only once you have ruled that out should you move inside the cabin. (Same applies to A/C, make sure the compressor kicks on and lines are actually getting cold etc.)

If everything checks out ok under the hood and heat is being delivered to the heater core, then the likely suspect will be either the blend door or the actuator. Neither is terrible to inspect. Always best to work through these things in logical order so you don't miss something and waste time or money.

Back