• Register Today It's free!

No heat, tried so many things,

Franks93exp

Reaction score
City, State
Maple Shade Township
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ford explorer 4x4 4d
Hello everyone, new to the forum an just wanna start by saying thanks to everyone who contributes to this page, it has helped tremendously with other problems ive had,

Current problem is my 93 exolorer 4x4 4dr 4.0 107,000 miles has no heat, ive changed the thermostat as well as heater core, blower motor wasnt working but is now working an that was due to a faulty relay, the explorer runs great doesnt leak or burn any antifreeze. All the heater hoses are hot an the heater core it self is heating up but im still getting cold air. Please help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a "blend door" issue. There are many threads and posts here on the forum regarding that. Although repair is time consuming, there are significant short cuts available.

There is also an on/off valve in the heater control line. If it is working, you would be able to see it change position when you adjust the heat/temperature control. This would be the easier repair. But if the heater core is getting heat, the valve is working.

Just some thoughts. Good luck.

Sounds like a "blend door" issue. There are many threads and posts here on the forum regarding that. Although repair is time consuming, there are significant short cuts available.

There is also an on/off valve in the heater control line. If it is working, you would be able to see it change position when you adjust the heat/temperature control. This would be the easier repair. But if the heater core is getting heat, the valve is working.

Just some thoughts. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply, ill look into that

Although i thought ive read a few times that the first gens dont have a blend door, also there wasnt a heater control valve untill the 94 models, ????

I think you would have to have a heater control valve. Or else you would have hot antifreeze circulating through the core under the dash board all of the time. That seems like it would be nasty in hot weather.

If there is not a "blend door", it would also seem that there must be some mechanism to open the vents and control air flow paths, like through the defroster or vents or floorboard heat.

Good luck!

Mr. Alligator, post: 3582056, member: 271722"]I think you would have to have a heater control valve. Or else you would have hot antifreeze circulating through the core under the dash board all of the time. That seems like it would be nasty in hot weather.

If there is not a "blend door", it would also seem that there must be some mechanism to open the vents and control air flow paths, like through the defroster or vents or floorboard heat.

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Im pretty sure there isnt a heater control valve untill the 94's
You can see the diffences in years here
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/differences-between-years-1991-1994.447665/

As for the air path selector its working fine

Frank,

Looks like you are right! Thank you for the correction.

EDIT: There being no heater valve... and your air path selector working ..... and your heater core getting heat.... and your fan working properly.... makes your issue very puzzling.

Yes very, trying to figure out what i could of missed or if theres something do with a vaccumn line

Frank,

Could it be that your heater core is getting warm, but not hot (enough?).

Heater hose obstruction? Not complete, but substantial, obstruction?

ADDED: if you CAREFULLY disconnect heater hose with engine warm, then start engine, do they EACH seem to flow well? Maybe the disconnection of the in-flow hose would test that hose for restrictions, and disconnection of the out-flow hose would test the heater core for restrictions. Do not get scalded...

Check the cable connecting the temperature slider in the cab. If it breaks or comes loose, it won't adjust the vents.
As I recall you will have to remove the ash tray (there's a tab on the "ceiling" of the ash tray) and a couple of bolts to get in there. It's been a long time since I had to do that, so I hope there's not more to it.

Check the cable connecting the temperature slider in the cab. If it breaks or comes loose, it won't adjust the vents.
As I recall you will have to remove the ash tray (there's a tab on the "ceiling" of the ash tray) and a couple of bolts to get in there. It's been a long time since I had to do that, so I hope there's not more to it.

Ok thats sounds like a good idea ill check that

Rhett you are the man bro, exactly what it was. Popped two screws out removed ash tray an sure enough that cable was disconnected. Hooked it up an blowing HOT !! No more freezing my ass off on my way to work, thanks everyone for the help

Congrats! You win!!!

Well I ran into this same problem and found this thread. I pulled the ashtray out and sure enough the cable is disconnected. Thanks for the diagnosis. I have however run into 1 small issue. There doesn't seem to be any way to secure the cable to the post. The post on the adjustment arm seems to be broken or missing a clip. Any ideas on what kind of clip to use? Otherwise I'll have to figure out a workaround.

Thanks again for all the info Rhett!

Back