• Register Today It's free!

no heat

madvette74

Reaction score
City, State
boston
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 eddie bauer explorer
just got a 98 eddie bauer explorer, the heater fan works, just blows cool air even when set to 90 degrees, my temp gauge reads normal.. could this be a thermostat? if so I am worried if I try to take the two bolts out (on the thermostat housing) they will snap.. do these usually cause a problem getting out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! Some vehicles use a heater control valve to start, and stop the flow of coolant going into the heater core. I don't know if your model year has this. Did you check your coolant level? My engine wasn't overheating, and the gauge was normal. When I checked my coolant level, I was low a half a gallon! If your heater core is clogged, it won't throw any heat either. Connect a garden hose to one side, and disconnect the other side to see if you get coolant coming out of it. This will indicate if it is blocked or not. Either way, it will flush it out.

It could also be a broken blend door.

If the Ex is running at normal temp, if the hose connections going to and from the heater core at the firewall are hot, it is the blend door or blend door actuator

can I try to replace the blend door? is it something that is not all that complicated??? and how could I verify it's the blend door?

TPLYNCH said:
It could also be a broken blend door.

madvette74 said:
can I try to replace the blend door? is it something that is not all that complicated??? and how could I verify it's the blend door?
Go to google, type in ford blend door fix, it can be very complicated

Are both heater hoses at the firewall hot, if not it could be the heater control valve which is Vacuum actuated, could be as simple as a loose or cracked vac line

Back